omniweb browser on OS X 4.11 and a Quicksilver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&W G3/400/1gig/OS 10.4
yes, believe it or not, i have a running Quicksilver with Tiger. ;P
not that i am bragging or anything. haha...but in this day and age, i find that getting any old operating system to work with the internet is kinda fun.

a gentleman who is a member of our local Mac Users Group had some old equipment to give away, and one of them was a Quicksilver 867 mhz that he had OS X 10.3 server on. i "upgraded" to Tiger, and maxed out the RAM to 1.5, but still found that Safari was ponderous, and since i didn't want to use an old version of Firefox, decided to go search for another browser.

since Mozilla quit supporting Camino, i decided to see what else was out there. i found Omniweb...i had never heard of it before. it seems to run just fine on the Power Mac, and i was wondering why i had never seen much discussion on it in the forums.

my background working with Apple stuff has been an off-and-on thing going back to the 90s, so i am not well versed in the various tricks for keeping these things going. i will get all enthusiastic about what i am working on, and then loose interest and go back to Windows or Linux for a while....so i am not as up on Mac software and tweaks as i probably could be.

anyone have any suggestions or experience working with this browser? i notice it doesn't work well with graphics....which would suggest i am missing a plug-in or something. is there a version of quicktime, java, or flash [or something open-source] i can use to see more stuff on this browser with this set-up?

help save me from the trial and error i would have to go through doing this on my own.
thanks.:Mischievous:

OP
rtabish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&W G3/400/1gig/OS 10.4
yes. the graphics were a bit hit and miss. since i posted this, i have installed !0.5 on the machine. it seems to run OK with it. i heard that Leopard isn't a good fit for the old quicksilvers, but everything checks out on it so far.

thanks for the link to TenFour Fox....will let you know what my experience is with it. :Cool:

C

chas_m

I would be very hesitant to put such a machine on the Internet now. Too many things either won't work right or are dangerous due to security flaws that aren't fixed in older OS systems.

OP
rtabish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
B&W G3/400/1gig/OS 10.4
seeing how slow and tedious this machine is for internet use, compared to my more modern machines, it will only be used for "entertainment purposes" on my part. i think it is just interesting that i can get it online at all.;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well many of us got online before G4's, or even G3's for that matter, were even released. I had a Performa 5500 black Directors Special with a massive 96MB of memory and a 1GB hard drive on a dial up connection! Thought I was the bees knees using Netscape Communicator for email and Navigator as the browser. And ahh for the days of Claris Works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.