Microsoft applications on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 MacBook Pro, OSX 10, 2.9 GHz, 8 GB
Okay, so first of all I am claiming complete and utter stupidity in the knowledge dept Mac-wise, so please keep the rolling eyes emoticons to a minimum. :Oops:

So, I bought this MacBook Pro a month or so ago and naturally I had to re-load OS 10 because everything is tied to the former owner's Apple ID. In the ensuing reload, everything on the Mac was wiped too, including iPages and the Mac-compatible Excel and Microsoft Works software packages. Multiple (borderline stalking, :) unanswered emails (for licensing keys) to the original owner later, I am left with the bare bones, a sad version of my Super Mac's former self.

So, here's the question, is there any way to get these programs without paying a gazillion bucks for something I already paid for?

Truly mega-suckage. Questions to Apple Support were disappointing - I did get iPhoto back (whoo-hoo)...

So, any suggestions?

Anyone? ? ? Hello? Is this thing on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I take it the Mac was sold to you with these installed and after a clean install you no longer have the product key.
You could purchase Office For Mac Student Teacher copy.
You could do a monthly subscription to Office 365.
If you just need an office program check out Libre Office -FREE and Neo Office 10.00 in the App Store.
Another option if you do not need to be tied to Microsoft would be Apple's iWork.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unfortunately... and this is more for everyone else looking to buy a second hand / used computer.

All Apple software is owned by the individual - not, the computer... and none of it belongs to the next buyer of the machine.

All apps purchased via the Mac App Store are also owned by the individual that purchased them - not, the computer they are installed on... and none of it belongs to the next buyer of the machine.

All 3rd party apps purchased (and in many cases pirated) by the seller of a computer belong to the seller - not the buyer of the computer - unless the seller provides the discs &/or activation codes for those apps.

For everyone looking to purchase a used computer, whether it be an Apple or any other brand...

Any application on a computer bought from an individual is worth nothing and should never be considered when negotiating the price of a used computer unless you are receiving those discs/activation codes.

So sorry, but, paying over and above the value of the hardware based on some software being installed for which you will not have a legal license to use, imho, have been scammed by the seller.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, here's the question, is there any way to get these programs without paying a gazillion bucks for something I already paid for?

Seller's will sometimes mention that the used computer they're selling comes with all kinds of software (sometimes worth $1000's of dollars). And of course this sounds very attractive. But...unless they legally transfer all ownership of those apps to the buyer (original install disks, serial numbers, validation codes, etc.)...the new owner has no ownership claims to that software.

Thankfully (in most cases)...most sellers of used computers are not actually trying to make EXTRA money via the included software...they're mostly trying to get you to buy their computer versus someone else's (without the software). But I also know that there are folks who will try to make extra via the software.:(

So basically what I'm saying is...that software was not yours. And after erasing...it is not recoverable. Hopefully you did not pay extra (above the value of the used computer itself)...for the software.

Anyone? ? ? Hello? Is this thing on?

I know that you're basically trying to comical.;) But we really do try to answer questions as quickly & completely as possible. So you really did not need to say this in your original thread post. If your question went a couple days with no answer/response...then I could see saying this.

- Nick

p.s. As you can see...you got at least 3 helpful responses within 45 minutes of your post.:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yep, I fully agree with "bobtomay". When I sold my MacBook several years ago I included Microsoft Office 2008 as a bonus; but I gave the buyer the original disk and product ID codes. That legally transfers the license.

OP
Songgirl222
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 MacBook Pro, OSX 10, 2.9 GHz, 8 GB
Thank you for the input. As for the "Is this thing on..." I was just kidding. Sorry to have offended anyone. The response was indeed fast.
A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Alas you have not paid for the programs Songgirl only ripped off by the seller. Assume from your thread this was purchased through an eBay seller? Maybe a complaint to the seller and then eBay might do some good. You can see why the seller is declining to pass the information on as they have been dealing in pirated software.

C

chas_m

In the ensuing reload, everything on the Mac was wiped too, including iPages and the Mac-compatible Excel and Microsoft Works software packages.

I won't cover the bit about second-hand software as this has been covered very well by Tom and others.

For the office stuff, you have a few options -- here are the main (but by no means complete) choices:

1. Buy Microsoft Office for Mac. I believe it runs about $200, but now appears to require (someone correct me on this if I'm mistaken) an "Office 365" subscription ($100/year) after the complimentary first year (this applies to the PC version as well, btw). On the upside, the subscription includes all upgrades free, additional MS software like OneNote, cloud storage space and MS Office for iPad as well. For people who are SUPER comfortable with the nuances of MS Office, or work with Office documents constantly, this might be the best choice.

2. There is a free option -- LibreOffice and OpenOffice are two "open source" Office-alikes that contain all the core functionality of Office in a free software install. There's no charge unless you need support. I personally find them ugly and a bit unstable/buggy, but for people who have very very occasional Office-like needs, this is the poor man's option.

3. Then there's what I like to call the "Goldilocks" option, Apple's Pages/Numbers/Keynote (formerly referred to collectively as iWork). Pages is a Word-esque word processor and desktop layout program that can read and write Word format; Numbers is a radical reimagining of what a spreadsheet program should do but is Excel-like in some ways; and Keynote quite simply blows PowerPoint out of the water.

Each one of these programs comes in two versions: for Mac ($20 each from the Mac App Store) and for iOS ($10 each from the iTunes App Store). You can buy only the ones you would actually use rather than the entire suite as with Office and Libre/OpenOffice. If you've bought a new Mac or iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) then you get the Mac or iOS versions (respectively) for free.

All three require an "attitude adjustment" from the Office apps to really get into them (Keynote less so than any of the others, Numbers more so), but they are remarkable programs that create spectacular results easily. Documents sing with the iWork apps, and creating them is a joy. You can use the apps through a web browser when you're not on a Mac or iOS device for free (even on PCs), save them in Office format if desired (I just store them on my iCloud service, which will automatically convert them to Office or PDF if the person downloading them wants it that way). It's like Office 365 in many ways, but free.

Once you sign up for an iCloud account (or if you already have one), you can try out the iWork apps for free through the icloud.com website. I highly recommend the iWork suite if you need to produce eye-poppingly amazing-looking documents to impress people with, don't require default saving in MS Office for Windows format, and need to be able to work on any platform or device cheaply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
1. Buy Microsoft Office for Mac. I believe it runs about $200, but now appears to require (someone correct me on this if I'm mistaken) an "Office 365" subscription ($100/year) after the complimentary first year (this applies to the PC version as well, btw).

You can still buy Office for Mac 2011 without the subscription for 365. It's $220 (For the version that includes Outlook) and will not expire. If you don't need Outlook, then Office Home 2011 is $140. Neither of these versions convert to office 365. keep in mind that a new version of office for Mac is rumored to be on its way this year and only office 365 gets you upgrades to the current version if you are already running the prior version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.