Numbers 3.2 (new) Page numbering removal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 2.7G i5 + iPad2 +iPhone 6s+MacBookPro 15in 2017
Can anyone help with the removal of page numbering in the latest version Numbers 3.2, if I expand a work sheet to print out onto more than 1 sheet of paper, page numbers are automatically added and I cannot find a way to remove them. I don't necessarily want all sheets numbered and have tried to set first number to zero but this won't work. Using iMac and Mavericks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I haven't had a chance to do much work with Numbers since I have so few sheets that I use and then only on a monthly basis. However, you may be able to remove the page numbers by setting the Header & Footer option to zero or none. I'm not really impressed with the way Numbers (and Pages) work with page numbering and headers & footers. Very cumbersome in my opinion.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't had a chance to do much work with Numbers since I have so few sheets that I use and then only on a monthly basis. However, you may be able to remove the page numbers by setting the Header & Footer option to zero or none. I'm not really impressed with the way Numbers (and Pages) work with page numbering and headers & footers. Very cumbersome in my opinion.
Thanks chscag,
I have tried with headers/footers to no avail.:Grimmace:
I am using 1 large sheet and if I print it to fit 1 sheet of paper it is far too small to read, so I leave the sheet as screen view size, then select 'print' which gives a preview split over 6 sheets and they are each individually numbered 1 to 6,(that is 2pages across and 3 pages down) doesn't matter if I select sheet runs in either N or Z direction, sheets are still printed with page numbers which cannot be edited. I did think to change the ink colour to 'white' so they come out blank but this won't work either.
Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I see what you mean. I just converted a large csv accounting file to a Numbers sheet (1.2 MB) and selected print. The preview showed page numbers in the footer range with no apparent way to remove them. My sheet if printed would have been 159 pages!

I don't see a way to remove the page numbering unless it can be done from the printer and neither of my printers offer that as an option. If I have time later on today, I'll try the same sheet in Excel to see if it too prints page numbers. From my recollection, I believe it also will default to printing page numbers, however, there may be a way to remove them there. Do you have a copy of Excel for the Mac that you can try?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see a way to remove the page numbering unless it can be done from the printer and neither of my printers offer that as an option. If I have time later on today, I'll try the same sheet in Excel to see if it too prints page numbers. From my recollection, I believe it also will default to printing page numbers, however, there may be a way to remove them there. Do you have a copy of Excel for the Mac that you can try?

Sorry Chscag, don't have Excel for Mac, the aim of having a mac was to get away from the continuous deluge of updates from Microsoft so will persevere a bit longer before buckling under mass frustration! Thanks for your input anyway.
Regards

C

chas_m

This may be fixed in the newest version of Numbers released a few days ago (April 1, to be specific) -- this article:

Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for Mac, iOS | MacNN

notes that "The Mac version of Numbers also sees a raft of improvements, including being able to set margins and create headers and footers in the print setup dialog, along with new options for page numbering, page ordering and zooming." The new version number is 3.2.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chas:

I was using the latest updated version of Numbers when I made the test for the OP. As far as I can see, there does not seem to be a way to suppress the page numbers if the sheet exceeds one page. I have no problem with page numbers on a large sheet, however, the OP does not want them to appear. If you can figure a way to suppress them, I would appreciate feedback.

BTW, I'm too lazy this evening to load Excel to see if the same occurs. :)

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may be fixed in the newest version of Numbers released a few days ago (April 1, to be specific) -- this article:

Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for Mac, iOS | MacNN

notes that "The Mac version of Numbers also sees a raft of improvements, including being able to set margins and create headers and footers in the print setup dialog, along with new options for page numbering, page ordering and zooming." The new version number is 3.2.
Please see the first line of my question "Can anyone help with the removal of page numbering in the latest version Numbers 3.2"

Reaction score
From here: http://help.apple.com/numbers/mac/3.2/#/tan0f8a5f969

It says:
To remove page numbers, click the center of the footer field, then delete the page number.

Incidentally, to make this work you need to use a locally attached mouse... I'd been trying for hours with a mouse connected via Synergy and it just wouldn't work... but regardless, there's your answer.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But.... does that work with the latest version of Pages which is what both the OP and myself are using? I'll run another test later to see if it does....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tested this on a large sheet (100 pages) and here's what I did. Compare it to what the Apple article stated.

I sent the sheet to the printer. I then went to the Print Preview thumbnails on the left side of the print dialog. I placed the mouse cursor over the page number of the first page of the sheet and selected delete. It then deleted the page numbers of all 100 pages. I'm not sure if that's how the Apple directions explain it but the tip on using Print Preview did the trick!

Have to thank you for the heads up reply. Like I told the OP, I don't mind the page numbers as they are actually useful to me but he didn't want them on his sheet. I hope he's still tuned in to this thread and picks up on your reply.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks to you both, Chscag and Disrespective!, your help was very much appreciated all works ok having re-installed the update. (when first updated v3.2 there appeared to be NO footer bar and No way to edit out the page numbers, so re-installed and now works like a dream)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.