white screen of death

Reaction score
I normally work with PC's but for the past few days I've had a Macbook Pro. I was looking forward to the experience as I had been impressed by the Apple Mac's reputation.
Yesterday I clicked 'Yes' to a message offering automatic updates. After installation I went for the automatic re-boot and when the machine restarted I was presented with the white screen of death. Furthermore I can't turn the machine off. I've held down the power switch for well over the required 10 secs; I've tried the cmd+R that posts in other forums have suggested. Nothing doing.
If anything like this happens with a PC laptop I remove the battery from the back simply by sliding back the holding catch. Not so with the Macbook Pro. The only way to get at the battery is to remove the back which is secured with 10 screws. I don't want to start dismantling the machine just to be able to turn it off.
Even if I do manage to turn it off I strongly suspect, from what I've read in other forums, that I'll still get the white screen when it restarts.
Can anyone out there offer a solution to the problem and thereby perhaps restore the enthusiasm I once felt for the Apple myth

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you Nick, resetting the SMC did the trick.

You were far more use than Apple's help team whose final advice (after suggesting things I'd already done) was to take it to a repairer.

The great thing is that my sister, whose machine it is, walked in ten minutes after I got it going. Perfect timing. She say's you're wonderful.

Thanks again Nick,

Michael

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.