Beach Ball....

Reaction score
I have the 20" iMac Intel duo and think it's great. Within the last few days however, I have downloaded Mac the Ripper, DVD2on2x and limewire. I got a bunch of songs from limewire last night as well as a few mpeg clips. I noticed since then that I will get the little spinning beach ball for a few seconds,(literally, seconds) when I click on applications or even when I select a song in iTunes. Sometimes have to select the song a second time before it kicks in.

I did a restart last night after all this to hopefully allow the computer to regroup. I had a PC once that got all screwed up from downloading stuff from Kazaa and napster. i hope this doesn't start with my Mac. I'm trying to be careful what I download.

Any advice? - Isn't there something in system preferences that needs to occassionally be cleared out? Seems i read that somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
The beach ball you are seeing is similar to the sand clock thing in windows. It's just saying, "hey, wait a second." That's all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
I get this problem as well sometimes, today it hanged on it for around 3 minutes and this was just to open a folder with 3 files in it! It's been like thisever since I upgraded for 10.4.2 to 10.4.4/5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.