Backup of Downloads file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2- 27" iMac's, 2 MacBook Pros, 2 HP laptops
Can anyone suggest the best way to backup my downloads file?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Leave the downloaded file in your downloads folder or move it to another folder of your choice that you can find, and then use Time Machine to backup your entire hard drive. You should be making backups with Time Machine anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
As suggested, Time Machine might be the best way. If you don't have an external drive to use for that purpose, and have a flash drive that's big enough, just drag the Downloads folder over, and make sure not to misplace it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends what the downloads are. For large downloads like Office etc. purchased via download, burn to a DVD. For every day software downloads, not really worth the bother as things are updated so much they quickly become obsolete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Can anyone suggest the best way to backup my downloads file?

Good suggestions already but just to let us suggest what recommendations may be best for you, what is your current backup strategy? Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Oops, just noticed that you have a Time Capsule listed in your signature, so I'm assuming that you are using Time Machine (TM) - for myself on my MBPro, I like 'redundant' backups, i.e. using TM on an external HD, Carbon Copy Cloner on another HD, and also putting my personal files onto a LaCie SSD (i.e. music, docs, & pics - could easily add downloads); if you want to automate your backup, then an online service might be a consideration (using Carbonite for my wife's iMac).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
... things are updated so much they quickly become obsolete.

While that's true, it is also possible that a user could have a disaster the day after downloading a bunch of stuff. It downloads are immediately copied onto another medium, they won't have to be downloaded again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.