Maverick Upgrade

Reaction score
I have OS 10.6.8 on my iMac.

I followed the free Maverick download, but have not installed it yet.
--Will it automatically install when I restart?
--If so, how can I prevent that?
--What do I need to be aware of if I install it? For instance, I still use Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac; will I need to upgrade that, or my Quicken 2007?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
--Will it automatically install when I restart?

No. It will only start/begin the install when you double click on the installer to launch it (like any other app).

--What do I need to be aware of if I install it? For instance, I still use Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac; will I need to upgrade that, or my Quicken 2007?

I'm pretty darn sure Office 2004 is NOT compatible with Mavericks. And if you have other apps installed of similar vintage...they most likely will not work either (lots of upgrading of apps...which may mean lost of $$$ to be spent).;)

But then again...since it is now 2014...when running an app as old as Office 2004 (10 years old)...this should really be expected.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I'm pretty darn sure Office 2004 is NOT compatible with Mavericks. And if you have other apps installed of similar vintage...they most likely will not work either (lots of upgrading of apps...which may mean lost of $$$ to be spent).;)

Office 2004 most definitely will not work with Mavericks nor will any other software designed only for PowerPC (Universal software will work so long as the installer is also universal). Office 2008 is the oldest version that will run on Mavericks however I haven't seen it get any updates in quite a while. Microsoft is close to releasing a new version of Office for Mac (If the rumors are right) so it may be worth it to hold off until you are ready to update everything that will need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.