Upgrading to Mavericks from Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Is it safe to install Mavericks on my iMac ? I have Snow Leopard and use Adobe CS4 for my graphic programs. I have heard Mavericks may be a problem with the Adobe software.
Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it safe to install Mavericks on my iMac ? I have Snow Leopard and use Adobe CS4 for my graphic programs. I have heard Mavericks may be a problem with the Adobe software.
Thanks.

There are tons of iMac models. We have no idea what model iMac you have...or if it can even run Mavericks.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Sorry....below is the info.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.44f0

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the iMac info...that helps.:) It will definitely run Mavericks.:)

Regarding the Mavericks/Adobe/CS4 question. It's not about Mavericks being a problem with Adobe software...it's about using the proper version of Adobe software (versions that are compatible with Mavericks).

In your case with Adobe CS4...you are in luck...it IS supposed to be compatible with Mavericks.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score

Adobe CS4 works fine under Mavericks. See:
RoaringApps

You can look up all of your other software for compatibility with Mavericks here:
RoaringApps - Application compatibility and feature support for OS X and iOS

However, any and all applications that were written for the PowerPC processor that were running in Snow Leopard thanks to Rosetta, won't run under Mavericks. Rosetta was discontinued after Snow Leopard.

So, if you use and love AppleWorks or Eudora, for instance, you will have to say goodbye to them with the upgrade to Mavericks, and switch to an alternative program.

You can tell if an application is a PowerPC application by highlighting it’s icon in the Finder, and choosing File menu —> Get Info. In the Get Info window, under General, if it is a PowerPC application in will say so under Kind.

You can check *all* of your applications simultaneously by opening System Profiler (in the /Applications/Utilities folder; or in:
Apple menu --> About This Mac --> More Info)
click on the disclose triangle next to Software, choose Applications, then click on the Kind column to sort by kind.

An application that has a Kind of “Universal” or “Intel” will most likely run fine in Lion and later. Any application that is “Classic” or “PowerPC” won’t.

If you would like to generate a text file that lists all of the PowerPC applications on your hard drive, complete with the path to get to each of these applications, copy and paste this line into the Terminal application (in your ~/Applications/Utlities folder), hit return, and then be patient and let it run for a few minutes before opening the text file that will instantly be generated on the desktop.

system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType | grep -A4 PowerPC > ~/Desktop/Applications_Report.txt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x eMac 1ghz
Word of advice.
Do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.9 as when upgrading it can leave too much mess and make the machine slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Word of advice.
Do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.9 as when upgrading it can leave too much mess and make the machine slow.

But make sure to do a complete backup first!

M

MacInWin

And if you do a clean install, you'll need to provide your registration information for CS4 again when you run it the first time. (You may need to do that even if you don't do a clean install.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.