ask.com toolbar

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find the reference. How does one get rid of the stutifyingly awful Ask toolbar. It sneaks in under cover of an update of Java, like jason under a sheep, then sends down roots and can't be pulled. I've come across all kinds of suggested ways of dealing with it if on a PC, but not if using a MAC. Who's solved this conundrum, and how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

According to this not compatible with OS X but what you may have is Ask setting up the search engine. If using Safari, go into Preferences under the name Safari > General > and under Default Search Engine check Google, or whatever you like. Always, always read what you are agreeing to in order to prevent similar 'add ons' cropping up.

Keep us posted?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25271307#25271307

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. I got slammed while using Google Chrome- I am still clean on Safari (don't ask). Selecting Google on preferences does not alleviate the problem- Ask still overlays Google as my search engine. I can't even find where Ask resides on my hard drive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
only guessing here - have not allowed any browser toolbar on a Mac
I did get caught with my pants down on one of my Windows machines updating Flash a couple months ago and missed "unchecking" the box for whichever toolbar it is they've started bundling...

Chrome - click the 3 bars right side of the address bar
select Settings
left side - select Extensions
hit the trash can next to Ask

OP
S
Reaction score
This is where the problem starts- there is no .ask extensions listed. That sucker is hiding behind a potent disguise. Never intended to download another web browser, but the invitation comes with a default button set to 'yes' apparently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Just delete Chrome and then reinstall. I don't mess around with stuff that has gone awry anymore trying to figure out why something went wrong.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ask.com

Deleting Google Chrome and reinstalling it just resulted in Ask again overlying my Google search bar. Anybody have any idea where this damnable thing is hiding, and how to get rid of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
You could try www.toolbarcleaner.com

disclaimer: I have no experience with it.

Of note: "Remove Ask Toolbar
We have a lot of request about how to remove Ask Toolbar. If you used Toolbar Cleaner (if you did not, click here to download Toolbar Cleaner), you should already have removed Ask Toolbar. Just make sure you deleted each occurrence of the Ask Toolbar.

Read more"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why? Appears to be a Windows only program also?

OP
S
Reaction score
Toolbar Cleaner only works on Windows
The ASK icon sits to the right of the querry window, and I am directed to ASK search engine whenever I enter my search criteria.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.