How do you delete a song or album from iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Running a new iMac, 3.1GHz Quad Core I7, 512 SSD, 16 GB Ram.
Both the OS and iTunes have the latest updates. I can't figure out how to completely delete a song (or album) from my iTunes library.
I see how to "hide" it in iCloud but that's not what I want to do. This has got to be very simple yet it's obviously beyond me! THX

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to delete an individual song, right click on it and select "delete". iTunes will ask if you wish it to be removed from the library but the file retained, or completely remove it from the hard drive. You can do the same with albums.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Make sure you are in the main Music section of the library then select the song in the right side of the window. I don't think iTunes allows you to delete a song if you have a Smart Playlist selected on the left side of the screen. Smart Playlists have an icon that looks like a gear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.