iMac - Very Slow At Times

Reaction score
I have an iMac running on version 10.9.2. The processor is an Intel Core I4 (2.7 GHz) and 4 GB of RAM. At times the operating system is very slow to the point where I can't do anything. I can hear the computer spinning quite a bit when this happens. The problem is much less after I reboot. Does this IMac need to restarted regularly. If so how I often? I typically rarely restart it. I have an older macbook air with less RAM and a slower processor that never has issues with speed and freezing up. Any other suggestions to optimize performance of the IMac would be greatly appreciated as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How full is your hard drive and when was the last time you performed maintenance clean up on it? We only recommend one tool to perform maintenance cleanup: OnyX which is free. The link is for the version that works with Mavericks. Run OnyX in automatic mode and be sure to read the instructions first. Let us know if that helps speed things up for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A
Reaction score
My hard drive has 850 GB of 1000 GB free. Should I use disk utility to run verify disk. I wasn't sure; especially since my mac did not come with a reboot disk.

Reaction score
The trouble with downloading OnyX is that it wants to make Yahoo my home page, along with other alterations. The only way I can get rid of that condition appears to be by doing a custom install, and I am not competent to do that.

Reaction score
Where are you downloading it? I've NEVER had Onyx try to change anything. Custom install? It's a drag-n-drop to the Applications folder.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The trouble with downloading OnyX is that it wants to make Yahoo my home page, along with other alterations. The only way I can get rid of that condition appears to be by doing a custom install, and I am not competent to do that.

The link "chscag" provided works just fine (you should click on the "direct link download" area). But if you prefer...use this link:

Titanium's Software • Index page

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Removed the Cnet link and inserted Titanium's above - Cnet is now auto installing what most of us would consider malware in the form of changing your home page, search engine and installing multiple adware extensions in Safari, Firefox and Chrome unless you catch it.

Guess we now have another download site to stay away from - or at least make sure you read all the fine print.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I have now downloaded from the Titanium site. I arrived at the original site by clcking the link. Curiously, I did not have the same result the second time, but reached Titanium.

I note that in doing its checks the program has found that I do not have SMART. Should I?

Shunhook

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you saying SMART says Failed? If so that means BACK UP your data and NOW because the hard drive is about to fail.

How long have you owned the iMac? Does it still have Apple Care?

Reaction score
I hope I am not creating a stir over something I have misunderstood. If so, apologies.
The message I get when I invoke the OnyX program to check on SMART is:
"The SMART status was not verified because it is not supported by this hard disk"
This suggested to me that SMART was not present.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is the message on the Internal drive that is built into the iMac? That is normally a message you would get from an external hard drive.

Reaction score
I assume that is so. I have an external back-up drive. Is there a way of discovering which drive the OnyX program is looking at? I take it that my Mac would have SMART program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2015 model/iMac 2014 - iMAC Sierra 10.12.5
Onyx

I saw this thread. Also want to try to clean the Mac. A Mac Book Pro 2010 running Mavericks. I went to titanium and downloaded the version for Maveriks. It said to drag the icon into either apps folder or the utility folder IN apps. I put it in the utility folder. When I click on it, I get a box that says it cannot be opened because it is from an unknown developer.
Herman

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a "Gate Keeper" warning which is a security feature built into OS X. Since we know OnyX is good application, right click on it and select open. It will then go ahead and install as per normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks chscag

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Onyx is in the APPS utility folder. When I double click on it, I got the unidentified developer notice again. I do not have a right click on this iMac mouse Are there any key combinations I can type that will serve as a right-click? All I can do on the Safari box telling me it is an uniidentied developer is to say OK.
Thanks for any and all help. Hermna

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Onyx is in the APPS utility folder. When I double click on it, I got the unidentified developer notice again. I do not have a right click on this iMac mouse Are there any key combinations I can type that will serve as a right-click? All I can do on the Safari box telling me it is an uniidentied developer is to say OK.
Thanks for any and all help. Hermna

First what Mac mouse are you using? Is it for sure an Apple mouse? If so which one? Mighty Mouse with the little pee ball for scrolling? Magic Mouse with the touch surface?

Reason I ask is all the Apple mice since the last maybe 8 years have right click. Go to System Preferences and click on MOUSE and enable Right Click. If you have trouble ask.

There is a way around it though in case you have some really old mouse. Hold down the Control Key then left click and you have a right click.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops I got you confused with the OP as you have a Mac Book Pro. You can still Right Click with the trackpad. Check the settings under Trackpad in System Preferences.

Go to the Point and Click tab under Trackpad and be sure Secondary Click Tap with Two Fingers is Checked. then Right Click you tap with two fingers. Pretty sure that works on an MBP. It does even on my Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have both the BookPro and an iMac bought this year. at the Apple Store. IT CAME with the mouse I am using and it has the apple logo It is the standard mouse that comes from apple store with the latest 27 inch iMac Will try your suggestion. Thanks very much.
I got it installed with your advice on the iMac and am doing same on the Book Pro. Thanks again VERY MUCH

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.