Email Client for Mavericks

Reaction score
I have previously used the Mail app for my email needs. However after upgrading to Maverick I ran into the same issues plaguing most other people mainly with my google apps account.

I then switched back to Outlook 2011 which I used previously. It worked fine until a couple of weeks ago it appears to hang on sync folder and will not pickup new mail without closing and restarting outlook.

I have two questions:

If anyone has any suggestion on how to fix outlook, please let me know.

Or if you recommend an email client for the mac that plays nice with google apps?

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When was the last time you tried Mail? Apple has issued fixes for the google issues. Have you tried it since they issued the updates?

OP
R
Reaction score
I did go back after the update but it was very slow. Mail was showing up on my phone before it would show up in mail.

Reaction score
Or if you recommend an email client for the mac that plays nice with google apps?

I recommend that you completely update Mail and then run all of the recommended routine maintenance on your Mac, and then give Mail a reasonable try. I think that you will find that it is once again the best e-mail program for the Macintosh.

However, if you want an alternative, these are currently popular:

Postbox ($10)
Postbox — Awesome Email
Review:
TC50: Postbox Takes On Outlook And Mac Mail With Smarter, Faster Email Client | TechCrunch

MailMate ($50)
(IMAP only)
MailMate
Review:
Review: MailMate 1.5 is no frills, all business when it comes to email | Macworld

Reaction score
OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give mail a try and thanks for the suggestions.

Any suggestions for tweaks to mail to make work better with google?

Thanks

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any suggestions for tweaks to mail to make work better with google?

The only tweak I would suggest and it's really not a tweak, is to use the gmail IMAP protocol instead of PoP mail. The Mail setup for gmail is very easy with plenty of instructions on the gmail web page.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks

Yes I have all accounts setup to use imap. However the iCloud seems to be a lot more responsive.

C

chas_m

Airmail doesn't have any rules feature, which may be a deal killer for some.

You'll be please to know that the beta of 1.4 includes local rules (finally!). Of course, any Gmail rules that the user had put in place work with Gmail accounts as they did before -- Airmail started off as primarily a Gmail client so that's why this feature has been kind of mid-way down the "next version checklist" I guess.

Reaction score
Do not touch Postbox at any price. It is very buggy, and offers absolutely NO support of any kind; any problems, you're on your own.

I found that it has huge problems dealing with multiple identities, and frequently simply refuses to save outgoing messages. Finally, a week ago it started timing out with my server and refusing to download new messages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.