Make a printable list of folders and their files all at once

Reaction score
cataloguing my folders and files
I am looking for a (free) way to make a printable list of files from many folders. Hopefully W/O having to go in to each folder and also record the folder they are in.
So I can make a tracklist of my Large audio, word and pdf collection.
osx 10.7.5 MacBook

Thanks Paul

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am looking for a (free) way to make a printable list of files from many folders. Hopefully W/O having to go in to each folder and also record the folder they are in.
So I can make a tracklist of my Large audio, word and pdf collection.
osx 10.7.5 MacBook

Easily accomplished using Automator, one of OS X's little gems that is often overlooked. Here's a post from elsewhere detailing the steps:
MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - How to print a list of files in a folder

You can also spend a buck for an app that will do it for you:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/18226/foldertolist

OP
N
Reaction score
list

Thanks but Automator gave me a quicktime file with only a title. The foldertodo list is good but it doesn't list the folder name and it only handles one folder at a time. I have many many files. That may be the best I can do. the other instructions for terminal were confusing for me and did not work.

Thanks for the info and time.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks but Automator gave me a quicktime file with only a title.

Huh? You should be getting a text file with a listing of the names of all the files in the folder you ran that action on, if you set this up correctly. Unless you mean you got just such a text file, but wanted something more than just the file names. If the latter, then you should probably elaborate more on what exactly you want.

Reaction score
I am looking for a (free) way to make a printable list of files from many folders.

You use a terminal command to list every file and folder on your hard drive, but it might run to many tens of thousands of files, and a couple hundred pages printed.

Instead you may just want to use a free utility to view ranges of folders and their contents in a list, such as:

DiskInventory X (free)
Disk Inventory X

OmniDiskSweeper (free)
More Software - The Omni Group

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.