• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

WWDC 2014 Announced for June 2-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't expect to see it at WWDC, but I would love for them to release an iPhone 6 family. One with the standard 4" screen, an iPhone 6+ with a ~5" screen and a 6C in cost-reduced form.

Additionally, I'd like to see BASE capacity at 32GB, with 64GB and 128GB options in increments of $50.

Given that we're now recording in HD, shooting pics in 8MP and installing more apps than ever, 32GB needs to be the standard. We're talking about $5 worth of flash memory, wholesale (TOPS). And doubling capacity in the age of cheap SSDs should not happen in $100 increments. That's just pure greed.

That is, unless, Apple just wants to cede more ground to Samsung. Something clearly needs to change. I don't want to go back to Android, but I have to say that with my eyes starting to degrade, those larger screens are looking more and more appealing.

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'd be curious to see which direction the iPhones start going in and I'm totally with you on the larger size. I've always had 16GB of storage on my iPhones, but that's beginning to become a limitation with all the stuff I can do with my iPhone 5S..

I'm still a little torn about a larger screen size though. I think the size right now works for me..but I suppose like anything, I could adapt to a larger size if that's what happens..as long as we don't reach the ridiculous Samsung Note-type sizes..:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm still a little torn about a larger screen size though. I think the size right now works for me..but I suppose like anything, I could adapt to a larger size if that's what happens..as long as we don't reach the ridiculous Samsung Note-type sizes..:)

I agree that the Galaxy Note is bordering on the ludicrous end of things. But I think something in the range of maybe 4.8" (similar to the S3) would work well.

One thing is for sure, the Apple of 2014 can't afford to be the Apple of 2012. This is the biggest technology company in the world. There is no reason why they shouldn't have a range of phones that is updated frequently to keep up with trends (or setting them). If they want the iPhone to remain relevant, they need to be doing more frequent and significant product releases.

Perhaps if they spent their time working on products and a little less on legal entanglements, they could do that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
But I think something in the range of maybe 4.8" (similar to the S3) would work well.
And once you go to that size, you can't go back. I've played with pre iPhone 5 iPhones (friends still holding on to their iP4(s) for contract reasons) and they feel so very very small. Even the 5(s) seems small given that it's so narrow.

I don't expect there to be anything huge at WWDC but I'd love for their development process to become a little easier for those of us who don't use native iOS development tools. I've run into issues with non-standard tools that don't pass validation so it would be nice to see Apple embrace these tools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I've stepped away for the Nexus 5, and while I'm enjoying the experience overall, I will not hesitate to sell it off to spring for a bigger iPhone. In their current versions, however, the screen size is just too small for my liking. Time shall tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
What are people looking forward to?

Winning the Raffle for a ticket ;P I got the OK from the missus so here is Fingers crossed

I want to go for the experience, but just like Chris, I don't expect to see it in this WWDC . . . For me EXPANDABLE storage, because Sandisk has just bought out a 128GB mircroSD card. Think of the possibilities, with the size of App now.
Heck I even got a 64GB iPad Mini Retina and I'm struggling now. I get "Cant update as you don't have enough available space on the Disk" :(

Given that we're now recording in HD, shooting pics in 8MP and installing more apps than ever, 32GB needs to be the standard.

And now we have UltraKam that shoots video in 4K where a 1minute video takes up 3GB of space, so a 20 minute short film will knock your 64GB iPhone5 on the head.

Expandable Storage please . . .

I don't expect there to be anything huge at WWDC but I'd love for their development process to become a little easier for those of us who don't use native iOS development tools. I've run into issues with non-standard tools that don't pass validation so it would be nice to see Apple embrace these tools.

This is happening as we speak. Im heading out the door for a weekend away, but I read a article a day or so ago, about Apps, that are writing in another Language, where you can export it, and it does what it needs to do, to pass Apples Validation.
Ill see if I can find it in 3 days time :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As long as the new phone is not to wide I will upgrade.
I hope they reduce the cost of storage as I see 32GB not enough and 64 to expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
The iPhone looks so narrow to me. My Galaxy S3 is much more comfortable to use, especially for my old eyes.

Also, I agree on the question of storage space. I have an iPad Mini with 16GB and a Nexus7 with 64GB. I still prefer the iPad for most things, but all video and most photos need to be on the Nexus7 as the iPad doesn't have enough space.

Even worse of course is that the Nexus was half the price of the iPad - even with the huge difference in storage space.

Reaction score
Personally its the smallness of the iPhones I like. I don't want an S3/4/5 size brick stuck to the size of my head.

If I need a bigger screen I use my iPad or MacBook

Reaction score
Live Stream to Mac and iOS.

I know on the Mac you'll need Safari to watch the live stream - is it the same on iOS? It's been awhile since I've last used the Live Stream feature.

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The updated WWDC page indicates Safari across all platforms. I'd be curious to see how they'd restrict other browsers from streaming, that seems a little silly IMO..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The updated WWDC page indicates Safari across all platforms. I'd be curious to see how they'd restrict other browsers from streaming, that seems a little silly IMO..
Technically speaking, it's probably impossible. I bet if you changed your user agent string, you'd be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.