Illuminated lights below apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5in, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, Catalina OS X 10.15.7
I have recently noticed that many of the "lights" below the various apps in the dock are illuminated when I am not even using these apps. I normally only keep 3 active - mail, calendar and notes, but 12 others are illuminated.None of these are set to open at login. Any ideas please?

C

chas_m

You are not properly quitting your apps, you are just closing the active window using the "red dot." Stop doing that and get in the habit of using "command-q" or "file-quit" when you are done with a program.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If having all those apps isn't causing you any issues, i.e., slow downs or anything its nice to have them "running" but not visible since if you click on the icon the window will appear instantly as opposed to going through the application loading time..

Otherwise, as chas_m suggested, properly quit the application and those lights will go out..

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5in, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, Catalina OS X 10.15.7
Thanks Chas_m & RazOrEdge, that has corrected the problem immediately and I note RazOrEdge's comments about keeping apps open if it does not slow my Mac down.
Interestingly the Apple store where I purchased my machine could not tell me how to overcome this issue!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Glad we could help and I'm a little surprised that the Apple Store folks couldn't help you with this trivial piece of functionality that has been there forever..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.