My Mac wont log out of root user.

Reaction score
I own a Mac G5 Desktop running on OS X Tiger (10.4.11) and I cannot log out/get out of Root User mode. I got into root user mode to change my password since I forgot what it was to my account. But now I cannot log out, shutdown, restart, or even get into "About This Mac". I don't know much about computers and I feel that I made a big mistake. I would like to know how to fix this problem or any suggestions thats would help. I would take it in but I don't have much money. Thanks :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have no idea what you did from the root user log in. I suspect that you may have damaged the system since you can't log out. The only suggestion I have for you is to backup all your files, force power down, and reinstall Tiger from your original disks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.