thunderbolt La cie rugged overheating macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbookpro late 2011 osx maverick
I have a macbookpro late 2011 with a sdd and a Hdd( hdd in the optical drive bay) and when I plug in a lacie thunderbolt external drive rugged and the Big2 the macbookpro overheats above 90 degress which shuts the copying to thunderbolt down. mac stays hot when TB drive unplugged after. Have to shut computer down to cool it. It went fine before I updated it to Mavericks 10.9.2 otherwise no idea what the problem is. Drives work on an airbook okay.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open your activity monitor when you attach the T-Bolt drive and see what else might be going on. There's no way that installing Mavericks should have caused overheating to occur.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbookpro late 2011 osx maverick
Thunderbolt external drive overheating Macbook Pro

Thanks so much! I checked the Activity monitor and found that the Laice RAID monitor app was using 100% of the CPU. So I selected the LC raid Monitor and clicked the 'force process to quit" button in Activity Monitor and then ejected/disconnected theTB, then reconnected it and it worked normally, no overheating or loud fan! Yay I can backup again. Cheers :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.