Buying A Used Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I can get a great deal on a 2006 Mac Pro and would upgrade it to an 8 Core x5355 CPU if I did. Is this the best CPU that will work with an 06? If not please let me know which is the best that is compatible.

I've been using a 2.4ghz C2D MBP for my audio production in Logic 8/9 and it just isn't cutting it. CPU maxes out quite easily.

So my question is, would an 06 Pro with 8 Core cpu be a worthwhile upgrade for audio production over my current Macbook Pro?

In total between the Pro and the upgraded CPU it would cost me around $400-$450.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, to start with the Xeon X5355 is a 4 core chip.
However, since you would need to buy two X5355s in order to replace "both" the CPUs in that '06 MP, you would end up with 8 cores.

The problem that I see, is that the X5355 does not support ECC memory which is what is used in the MP. Think you should be able to run non-ECC, but that's going to mean changing out the existing RAM in it also.

While I'm sure the MP would blow the C2D out of the water, it's still an 8 yr old computer and personally, I'd have a hard time putting $400-500 (or a more after replacing the RAM) in a computer of that age. Would be looking for a later model that has the capability of running the current version of OS X.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And having a 32bit EFI, rules out 64bit operating system,s including OS X.8 Snow Leopard and OS X.9 Mavericks. In my Mac Pro days the best upgrade was the 5500 Bloomfield processors in the 2.66GHz, or if you could find them the 2.93GHz. Was still 32bit architecture drat!

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. I spec'd the cpu's & 16gb of ram and after that I'll be at about $450 spent for the whole rig. I'm actually very happy with SL & Logic 9 (not a mav's or LPX fan) and don't have any issues using that on my Pro. This will also give my laptop extended life as I'll only have to use it for school and DJ'ing.

It was this or a hackintosh and I really didn't want to have to build a whole system.

I have a follow up question.

1. Can I purchase any SLAEG Xeon X5355's? In some listings on ebay and other sites they say things like "pulled from disassembled Dell server". Just want to be sure I am purchasing compatible chips here. Also its my understanding that SLAEG is the best choice because it will consume less power at idle.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for your inputs. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. I spec'd the cpu's & 16gb of ram and after that I'll be at about $450 spent for the whole rig.

I'm not sure what you paid for the computer...or how much ram it comes with...but If you're only into this computer for $450 after all upgrades...you are very luckily.

If you need to purchase all 16gig of ram...that's going to cost you $265-$330 (depending on the modules purchased).

Add to this the purchase price of the computer + the upgrade cpu's...and that's a lot for $450.

Make sure you are getting the correct ram. 1st gen. Mac Pro's need special ram...and that ram is very expensive (as mentioned above).

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Received the Pro and am pretty happy despite a few mishaps. It included a really small hard drive, not like advertised. Anyway, I talked to the guy and he agreed to split the cost of a 2 TB hd with me so that was a nice bonus. It was supposed to come with a 750. Another disappointment is that I can't get my superdrive to play a disc. It opens and closes but I don't hear it spin up. I'm hoping that he may agree to pay for a used one off ebay or something.

On to the good! Installed the x5355's and it was a great learning experience. Everything went flawlessly and the actual operation of the Pro is immensely impressive. Also, when I opened things up to get a look inside I found out that it included an 8800gt, compared to the 7300 that was advertised.

I opened a Logic project that would normally max out my MBP and I'm not even using half of my CPU's power now.

So overall, here is the damage. There's little stuff I didn't factor in originally like, thermal paste, Torx driver, a bluetooth adapter (forgot bluetooth is an OPTION on Pro)

$500
-06 Pro
-x5355 (2)
12 GB Ram
2 TB hd
8800GT.

Overall I am very happy and just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any major problems. To the 2 that responded, thank you for your advice on things. Hoping to be a more active participant on these forums in the future.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
On to the good! Installed the x5355's and it was a great learning experience. Everything went flawlessly and the actual operation of the Pro is immensely impressive. Also, when I opened things up to get a look inside I found out that it included an 8800gt, compared to the 7300 that was advertised.

Congratulations!:) Both on the cpu upgrade and the better graphics card.

I've actually been considering doing this 4-core to 8-core upgrade as well! Just looking to find the right deal on a Mac Pro to pop up.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.