• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iFixit has been acquired by Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I'm interested to see what's up next for iFixit.

"iFixit is the industry leader in the global repair movement. With more than 10,000 repair guides and millions of community members worldwide, iFixit has become the most trusted source for “before-you-buy” reviews of consumer electronics and “after-it-breaks” repair documentation.

Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and generally does not discuss their purpose or plans. And financial details have not yet been disclosed. But, we at iFixit feel we ought to explain ourselves to our loyal community.

“Everyone has a number”, admitted Kyle Wiens, iFixit’s CEO. “I didn’t think there was a reasonable number that would make me say, ‘You know I was going to change the world with repair documentation but here’s a number.’” In the end, Apple gave us a number that we couldn’t refuse.

But it isn’t just a number for iFixit. As part of the deal, Apple made a commitment to produce the most replaceable electronic devices and personal computers on the market. This is a clear win for the whole iFixit community.

Apple is working hard to make devices last long enough to be upgraded or irrelevant, making repairability an antiquated notion. iFixit will become a key player in the future of Apple device development, starting with the new iFixit Replaceability Index.

It has been an exciting adventure for all of us at iFixit, and we can’t thank our dedicated community enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Pretty sure this is an April's Fool's joke. Quite sure. Like, really really sure.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Just gonna move this to the lounge noting what day it is..:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Got the email this morning... I have to say, though elaborately done, this was lame. If you know iFixIt at all, you know this goes against every fiber of their existence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I hate April 1st.

Agree w/ Craig - wife just sent me an email that a wedding we plan to attend (a niece that we not really that close) in early May had just been cancelled - now since this involved non-refundable airline tickets, we set up an alternate plan to spend some time in D.C. - I first said GREAT! But - :(

I'm a BIG fan of music, especially classical (have about 5K CDs - began in 1984) and belong to the Good-Music-Guide music forum - below is a new thread opened last night from the forum administrator, Rob - now going for 3 pages w/ a dozen of my fellow members (some 'old-timers') removing their avatars; however, Rob has kept his & one of the mods put a jester's head on his avatar of Haydn - Dave :)

It has come to our attention that avatars are compromising forum security. The details can't be revealed fully yet, but it seems that the NSA has successfully infiltrated most avatars, and using spyware known as "SnoWdensia", are using them to spy on users posts. More worryingly, since avatars are kept within members' profile, they can have access to all profile information as well as personal messages.

Our recommendation is to remove your avatar, and put it in a specially created folder on your desktop called "Functional Online Obfuscatory Locker", or just use the initials. This directs your virus scanning program to scan the files within. Works or PC and Mac.

If you simply must use an avatar, GMG recommends the one attached. it has been scanned, certified spyware-free and will clearly demonstrate that you have taken the steps to ensure your forum safety.

Regards
Rob and the GMG team

Screen Shot 2014-04-01 at 11.29.42 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Ahhh... OK...

3f3b98f60dd5b968feb330731089195d0ee90ca453e71986618ce583dbdac84b.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was tempted to post that Steve Balmer took over as CEO of Apple but I doubted anyone would be fooled for a second! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, especially since Steve has now retired with his Billions. MS has a new CEO which is why MS Office for the iPad was released. Does that tell you something? :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sometime early in the OS X era I fell for a bit that claimed OS X could be installed on an iPod. I bought it for about five minutes then I remembered April Fools Day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
i was waiting for someone to post Apple bought Comcast or Time Warner.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i was waiting for someone to post Apple bought Comcast or Time Warner.

They did! :D there will be a new show on the network called Cooking with Tim Cook! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Correction Dennis. That's actually "Apple Pie" for everyone by Tim Cook. ;D

Sometime early in the OS X era I fell for a bit that claimed OS X could be installed on an iPod. I bought it for about five minutes then I remembered April Fools Day.

LOL, the ifixit buy out had me going for a while, so don't feel bad.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I saw that late last night and freaked till I looked at the date when I woke up! To me they would RUIN iFixit.

All new Macs are far from easily fixable!

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
LOL, the ifixit buy out had me going for a while, so don't feel bad.

At least you're not the one who posted it! :Blushing::Blushing:

It really had me going!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well even as much as we love our Macs it would not be surprising in view of the lack of user upgrading possible on recent models!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
i really thought this was legit.. i told my self.. ill look at MF tomorrow and read up on it.
wow.. haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
When I saw it, my first though was they will pull down ALL the posts that showed you how to disassemble your Apple Product from iPod, to ATV, but after eyeing off the next email, I knew it was a FOOLs day.

They will only become more and more elaborate :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.