Message MS Office has encoutered a problems and needs to close

Reaction score
I was gone for a week and had my imac turned off. Now I'm not able to open any MS Office for mac applications as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro or Reader.
I downloaded ClamXav and scanned the computer. Found a couple malware and phishing files, deleted the files but still same problem. I had Shopos on my computer and I was not able to open the scan.
Do I have a virus on my computer? Any help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I was gone for a week and had my imac turned off. Now I'm not able to open any MS Office for mac applications as well as Adobe Acrobat Pro or Reader.
I downloaded ClamXav and scanned the computer. Found a couple malware and phishing files, deleted the files but still same problem. I had Shopos on my computer and I was not able to open the scan.
Do I have a virus on my computer? Any help will be appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide some additional information: 1) iMac model/year; 2) OS installed; and 3) MS Office version and installation, i.e. is this Office for the Mac or do you have a Windows partition (if the latter, how are you running Windows)?

Before you turned off the iMac, were these programs working properly? Finally, I doubt that this is a virus issue, so other problems need to be explored and hopefully the additional comments about your system will help. Dave

OP
U
Reaction score
IMac 21.5" Mid 2011, 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5, 12 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3, OS X 10.9.2, MS Office for Mac Standard 2011 installed 2012. Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro. I do not run windows on a separate platform.
Everything was working well with no problems when I powered down a week ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a read of this link on how to enter Library/Preferences and drag to the Trash any .plist file encountered for Microsoft Office 2011 (Word, Excel etc). :Leave the files in the Trash and reboot. New .plist files will be rebuilt and if there is no problem empty the Trash.

Find a .plist file for a specific application - Mac OS X Hints

OP
U
Reaction score
Thank you, unfortunately it did not work. As it is affecting MS Office for Mac and Adobe Acrobat Pro I tried to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Pro using Acrobat Uninstaller and I get the same error report.

OP
U
Reaction score
Seems as the problem is affecting more applications including Garage band, Imovie and smilebox.
I'm certainly lost with this.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help. As the problem started with MS Office for Mac, I posted a question on Microsoft Community. I received this suggestion and I found a HP printer application interfering in the startup process.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2693802

Thanks again.

OP
U
Reaction score
chscag posted:
Whatever the problem is, it's system wide. Do this:

Boot to your recovery partition and verify your hard drive. Hold down the command + r keys on a reboot. Once in recovery, select utilities, Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive and repair if necessary. Let us know the results.

Disk Utility found no problems, HD is ok. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh the joys of HP driver software! Often late and sometimes do cause interference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.