Reinstall Mavericks

Reaction score
I have an iMac with Win 7 and OS X bootcamped. I am trying to install Mavericks after my OS X partition was corrupted. I have downloaded the Mavericks Installer on my MacBook and have transferred it to a flash drive. When I boot and hold down the option button, I assume it will detect the flash drive and give me an option to install Mavericks. I want to make sure that my Windows partition is not damaged in the Mavericks install process. Will it give me an option of which partition to install onto? Do I need to format the corrupt partition first? Some pointers would be appreciated.

OP
M
Reaction score
I downloaded Mavericks OS from the app store, formatted a flash drive, called it "Untitled" and ran the following command from a terminal prompt:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. I am reinstalling because I had trouble updating to Mavericks and the "solution" I found was to delete and merge the recovery partition which is now sitting there blank.

Should I merge the small (620MB) recovery partition with the main OS X partition or should I just leave it there?

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, when you start up your mac hold Option. This will give you the choices you are able to start up from. You can insert the USB drive now and your mac will see it. Select the USB drive and start up from that. From there go into Disk Utility and format the partition you want to install Mavericks on.

Thanks. All good. Was able to successfully install from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.