Add a monitor or add an iMac

Reaction score
I work from a non retina display 15 inch MBR.

I am thinking seriously of getting a thunderbolt to make using it easier and more enjoyable.

The other option would be to by an iMac (as it's not significantly more and a whole new machine) and use that in my office and use the MBP when I work from home. what I don't what is two machines as it were though, with software and folders in different places and not synced.

I dont suppose there is a way of getting one machine to mirror the other is there?

Unless there is, I think the thunderbolt display is the way to go.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Many thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am thinking seriously of getting a thunderbolt to make using it easier and more enjoyable.

Unless there is, I think the thunderbolt display is the way to go.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Getting a large external monitor to use with a laptop is a great idea.:) But unless you don't have any budget issues...$999 for the 27" Apple Thunderbolt display is pretty pricey. You can probably find a perfectly acceptable external monitor for $150-$200.:)

No need to spend $999 or more for a Thunderbolt display or an iMac...if a solution can be found for under $200.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
If you want the same resolution as an iMac, you can get a Dell High Resolution Monitor (2560 x 1440) from between 500 and 600 bucks (needs a display port cable) or if lower resolution is OK there are 1920 x 1200 displays that are even cheaper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I bought a 22" AOC monitor (+keyboard and mouse) to use with my 13" rMBP. My wife uses it with her 11" MacBook Air, and my daughter also uses it with her 13" MBP.

I connect via a Thunderbolt-to-DVI cable, my wife and daughter use the very same connector to go into their Macs' DVI ports.

The extra screen real estate is great, the video is very good. All for under $250.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, the problem I have is that I have become an Apple addict and whilst the Thunderbolt screen is expensive (£899 is England), I am prepared to pay for it.
The easy connectivity, charging and extra usb ports mean I can leave a back up drive hooked up all the time.
I know I'm making excused to justify it, I'm hooked on Apple.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
I certainly won't criticize your choice.

Just for your info, the Dell U2713HM also has USB ports. Another reason I went with it rather than the Thunderbolt was that the Thunderbolt screen does not sit at the same height as my iMac screen. Of course that won't affect you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.