Need Mac Old-Timer Input

Reaction score
Anybody here ever used Microsoft Word 6.0 (1993) for Mac or Windows? It came with awesome macro capabilities.

I am currently using Word 6.0 on an older Powerbook G4 (17" 1.67 GHz) to process a gigantic 4,000 page document with the assistance of macros.

I have a problem, though: That Powerbook is the last Macintosh computer ever produced that will work with Word 6.0. It won't work on any Apple computer with an Intel processor.

So I was thinking the other day...I wonder if the old Microsoft Word 6.0 Windows version (DOS, I believe) is compatible with Intel processors. If so, and I could get a hold of that Windows version of Word 6.0, I'd be able to upgrade to either a new Apple computer or a new PC for my word processing work.

Anybody know how that works? And if not, does anyone know of a good Mac forum for discussion of topics related to older Mac computers?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Windows - DOS version of Word 6 will only work on an Intel machine. But you can forget about it working on a Mac or even a new PC.

Some of our members have experience with old machines and may be some help to you.

Reaction score
When Word 6 came out it was considered large and bloated. Personally, I thought it was great. Worked fine on my iMac with OS 9.
Even if you could fine a DOS version, good luck getting it to run on pretty much anything available now. I don't know of anything currently able to run DOS or even Windows 3.5 and even if it could, don't know if I'd want it.

C

chas_m

Finish the project you have in your present environment, and then start looking for substitutes. First stop should probably be -- wait for it -- Microsoft Office (the current version). Second stop -- LibreOffice (if option one doesn't work out).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh chas you are seeing the light!!

Reaction score
Anybody here ever used Microsoft Word 6.0 (1993) for Mac or Windows? It came with awesome macro capabilities.

I am currently using Word 6.0 on an older Powerbook G4 (17" 1.67 GHz) to process a gigantic 4,000 page document with the assistance of macros.

I have a problem, though: That Powerbook is the last Macintosh computer ever produced that will work with Word 6.0. It won't work on any Apple computer with an Intel processor.

So I was thinking the other day...I wonder if the old Microsoft Word 6.0 Windows version (DOS, I believe) is compatible with Intel processors. If so, and I could get a hold of that Windows version of Word 6.0, I'd be able to upgrade to either a new Apple computer or a new PC for my word processing work.

Anybody know how that works? And if not, does anyone know of a good Mac forum for discussion of topics related to older Mac computers?

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. It's possible to get Word/Mac 6.0 to work on a recent Intel-based Mac using an emulator like SheepShaver. And it's possible to get a copy of Word/PC 6.0 to work on a recent Intel-based Mac using a virtualization program like Parallels or Fusion. But what's the point?

You can get a recent Intel-based Mac, and the very latest copy of Microsoft Office:
Microsoft Office for Mac | Office For Mac
and though you can no longer open Word 4 and earlier documents in the latest version of Word, you can still open Word 5 and 6 documents if you use the Open dialog box within Word, and the Visual Basic macro language is still the same also.

Note that while LibreOffice, and the other similar OpenOffice-based suites, are very nice clones of Microsoft Office, they don't use Visual Basic for macros. So your existing macros created in Word wouldn't work in LibreOffice. I also don't know how old of a Microsoft Word file their translators can handle. So, in your case, an OpenOffice-based alternative probably won't be satisfactory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Can you describe the problem you are having? I have Word 6 for Mac running on multiple older Macs (both 68K based and PPC based). I might be able to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.