Mac Book Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.8.5 /4GB..MBA 13"
I have owned a new Mac Book air for about 4 - 5 months. I have had a constant problem when typing. I'm a 'one finger' typist! But I never had this problem with my previous Mac Book Pro. During my typing I find that the spacebar has failed to space, and two or three words could be without spacing.

Obviously, the keyboard is requiring more 'pressure' than I'm applying.

I have searched for a 'pressure sensitive' setting, but cannot find such a setting.

Is there such a setting available on the MacBook Air?

Dewij

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no pressure sensitive setting for the keyboard. You'll just have to get used to it or buy an external keyboard to use with your MBA when at home.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there such a setting available on the MacBook Air?

I don't think so...I've never seen a setting like that. I don't know if you eat around your MacBook Air. Maybe some food particles got under the space bar...OR...since the computer is new...maybe it needs some "breaking in".

It shouldn't need breaking in...just throwing that out there.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have owned a new Mac Book air for about 4 - 5 months. I have had a constant problem when typing. I'm a 'one finger' typist! But I never had this problem with my previous Mac Book Pro. During my typing I find that the spacebar has failed to space, and two or three words could be without spacing.

Obviously, the keyboard is requiring more 'pressure' than I'm applying.

I have searched for a 'pressure sensitive' setting, but cannot find such a setting.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) In addition to the excellent posts already provided, try visiting an Apple store & typing on some other MBAs, just to make sure that your computer's keyboard is working similarly?

Plus, you might want to alter your typing practices - I'm an oldie and took typing in high school so adapting to a computer keyboard (for me in 1980 w/ an Apple II+) was no problem - I hit the spacebar w/ my right thumb (and w/ a good thump!) - so maybe some slight adjustments in your typing might help? Good luck - Dave

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.8.5 /4GB..MBA 13"
MacBook Air

Thanks all of you who responded to my question re keyboard pressure - as suggested - I'll just have to persevere.

Thanks,
Dewij

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.8.5 /4GB..MBA 13"
Still on the same subject Mac Book Air, but a couple of further issues one of which has persisted since purchasing the MB air a few months ago. The Face Time screen/monitor has often frozen during transmission, and eventually turns a solid green, The sound continues for a while, then is finally muted. This has been a regular occurrence during connection to a Mac user in the UK.Apple suggests it could be a weak signal by the other party. We recently hard wired their computer to their modem, with an ethernet cable, but the problem continues. The second issue, is that on a couple of occasions of inadvertently let the MB air's battery completely run out, creating obviously a black screen. It has taken as long as 10 mins before the unit re boots. This should not take that long surely?(Even after reconnecting the power)

Dewij

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still on the same subject Mac Book Air, but a couple of further issues one of which has persisted since purchasing the MB air a few months ago. The Face Time screen/monitor has often frozen during transmission, and eventually turns a solid green, The sound continues for a while, then is finally muted. This has been a regular occurrence during connection to a Mac user in the UK.Apple suggests it could be a weak signal by the other party. We recently hard wired their computer to their modem, with an ethernet cable, but the problem continues..............j

Hi Dewij - concerning the above, you need to provide some further information: 1) What download speeds are you & your friend obtaining on your computers - check w/ Speed Test and post back? and 2) Are either or both of you able to do Face Time w/ others without a problem? I suspect that connection speed is the issue, too.

............The second issue, is that on a couple of occasions of inadvertently let the MB air's battery completely run out, creating obviously a black screen. It has taken as long as 10 mins before the unit re boots. This should not take that long surely?(Even after reconnecting the power)

If you permit your batteries to completely drain, then a 5-10 minute charge is usually needed before the computer responds (same happens on an iPad) - see the quote below from an Apple Support Article - Dave :)

If the battery in your MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro is fully drained of power, the battery will put itself into a low power state to preserve its ability to charge in the future. Connect your Mac Notebook to AC power and allow it to charge for at least five minutes. If the connect to power screen persists after charging for five minutes, reset the SMC...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We'll tackle the second issue first:

The second issue, is that on a couple of occasions of inadvertently let the MB air's battery completely run out, creating obviously a black screen. It has taken as long as 10 mins before the unit re boots. This should not take that long surely?(Even after reconnecting the power)

This is normal. Since the MacBook Air battery is part of the power circuitry and it remains in the machine, it takes a while for the power flow to build up to allow the machine to reboot and start its normal charging cycle. This is not good for the battery by the way. If possible, don't let it go flat to the point where the machine turns off.

The same thing occurs with my iPhone. If I let the charge go to zero, the phone will turn off and I'm unable to turn it on to where it's useable until the charge reaches 25% which may take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes.

The Face Time screen/monitor has often frozen during transmission, and eventually turns a solid green, The sound continues for a while, then is finally muted. This has been a regular occurrence during connection to a Mac user in the UK.Apple suggests it could be a weak signal by the other party. We recently hard wired their computer to their modem, with an ethernet cable, but the problem continues.

Hard wiring their computer to the modem does not necessarily mean a stronger signal will occur. The signal still has to go from their machine to your MacBook Air. The symptoms you stated which are happening do indicate a weak or broken signal. You might wish to try Skype instead to see if the signal is any better.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.8.5 /4GB..MBA 13"
Thank you for your two responses, I'm in the process of acquiring the speeds you requested, mine is as follows: D/L 4.97, U/L 0.96 Mbps. I'm still awaiting the speeds from my UK contact. I will report back as soon as I have these answers.
Thanks

Dewij

C

chas_m

Dewij: that's a little slow for reliable video transmission. I'm at triple that (~15Mb down, 2Mb up) and have very smooth video conferencing, even wireless.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.8.5 /4GB..MBA 13"
MacBook Air

I have some more speeds, the first checked and provided by my IP D/L 5.5 U/L 1.00.the second using a test provided by my IP, (bll.ca/speedcheckup) and carried out myself, D/L 5.03 U/L 0.90. The third checked on the UK Mac, using the speed checker provided by my IP, D/l 7.85 U/L 0.66.

I questioned the optiumum figure for my internet, and was told for the D/L a speed of 6.00 is average. I questioned the figure provided by Chas_m, and they figured you must have Fibre optic cable, which neither I or the UK has. Hopefully, these numbers will determine what my Face Time problem is.

Tks. Dewij.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I questioned the figure provided by Chas_m, and they figured you must have Fibre optic cable, which neither I or the UK has. Hopefully, these numbers will determine what my Face Time problem is.

They figured wrong. The speeds member chas_m quoted can commonly be had on a fast cable line or even DSL. Fiber Optic speeds are much faster. I have a Fiber Optic connection and mine are 50 down and 35 up. Some are even much faster than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have some more speeds, the first checked and provided by my IP D/L 5.5 U/L 1.00.the second using a test provided by my IP, (bll.ca/speedcheckup) and carried out myself, D/L 5.03 U/L 0.90. The third checked on the UK Mac, using the speed checker provided by my IP, D/l 7.85 U/L 0.66.

I questioned the optiumum figure for my internet, and was told for the D/L a speed of 6.00 is average. I questioned the figure provided by Chas_m, and they figured you must have Fibre optic cable, which neither I or the UK has. Hopefully, these numbers will determine what my Face Time problem is.

Hi again Dewij - I'm on Time Warner cable and just checked my Dl/Ul speed (see attached pic) - this was on my MBPro laptop on the porch 2 rooms from the location of my Wi-Fi router - 20 Mbps is typical DL speed for me (although will vary as others in the neighborhood get online); my UL speeds have always been about a 1/10 slower.

So, 'wired' connections can certainly give speeds faster than you are obtaining from your ISP - not sure what other options you may have in your locale? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 12.08.53 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.