Time Machine

Reaction score
It appears my TM is not configured, how do I do this? When I click TM, I click on 'set up TM', another window opens, show TM is off and I click and I click select backup disc. another window open for set up T Capsule. If I turn TM button to 'on' and select set up T capsule it opens window to show my Airport Utility. This happens even when I connect Ext HD. I have MBP Osx 10.6.8 2g Icor I7, mem 4g 1333 DDr 3 and TM v1.1. Need help so I can back up and upgrade to Mavericks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
When you turn on Time Machine chose disk then it will show available disk that it sees either a Time Capsule or External hard drive highlight the one you want and it should start the backup one side note if you did not purchase an external drive specifically for a Mac you need to format it.

OP
P
Reaction score
That is probably my problem. I just started moving all my photos to HD without formatting it to my mac. I suppose I will have to move all my data off HD, format it to my MBP, then I assume it will work.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Before you do that check to see how it is currently formatted. Single click the drive and choose Get Info from the Finder's File menu. Look in the General Section and see what it says under Format. Time Machine needs the drive to be formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think that's the problem. Time Machine needs a drive that will be formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled. If you want to use that drive back up anything on it and reformat it. Time Machine should recognize it then.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for the input. will move data from one ext HD to another, then get instructions on formating 1st ExtHD for the TM backup. Once that is completed, hopefully I can DL and install Mavericks,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.