TextEdit and Mail

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
It seems that TextEdit is set as default to open an archived email. A lot of people send me the email text in a word or pdf document to avoid overloading the email itself. The problem is that, after archiving the email in their folder, the attachments disappear so can not be read again. This only happens in Apple, no in Ubuntu Linux or Windows 8. How can I archive the emails without losing the attachments? Is it necessary to get the TextEdit as default email reader? Why?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Right click on the attachment and choose "save". You'll then be directed as to where you wish to save the attachment. From then on, it will open in Word, Preview, or which application it's associated with. Also, you can save the email in its native format and the attachment will always remain available. Just click on save as and choose raw message source. You could also save as rich text format. However, it's best to save the attachment rather than the whole message unless you need to do both.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ta chscag

The "raw message source" did the trick. Thank you.

All the best.

Tino

OP
T
Reaction score
chscag

Are you alright?

Sorry to use this facility but I don't know how to send a particular message in this forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.