FaceTime over 3G in iOS 7.1?

Reaction score
Can you use Facetime over 3G (not WIFI & not 4G) on your iPhone 4S? It worked like a charm under iOS 6.x and Apple has decided to disable it under version 7, and all without telling us! Shame on Apple! I have high suspicion to believe Apple has done this, so can anyone else confirm my account? I have tested FT over 3G on multiple iPhones and all confirm my theory. Can you?

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why do you think you're going to receive a different answer than the one received in the Apple Community Discussions Forum? LINK

OP
E
Reaction score
Why do you think you're going to receive a different answer than the one received in the Apple Community Discussions Forum? LINK

Sprint claims this may be a apple problem, and Apple claims its a Sprint problem. I just can't figure out why I can watch videos in my News apps just fine over 3G here.

What are the facetime requirements over 3G in ioS 7.1?

Yesterday I ran the test and had 2.24Mbps download and 0.94Mbps upload and it still did not work and the other person had WIFI. Go figure.

How can I change the title of this thread to a question as it looks like I made a mistake. I did an advance edit but its not showing. Thanks..

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's typical for Sprint to blame Apple and for Apple to say it's a Sprint problem. I suspect though that it's in fact a problem with Sprint. Of all the carriers here in the Dallas Fort Worth area that I have done business with, Sprint is by far the worse in customer relations and I have had contracts with all the major carriers. I'm with T-Mobile right now, not the greatest, but a lot better cost wise than the others.

I also edited your title.

C

chas_m

FaceTime requirements, straight from Apple's site (a three-second search in Google):

iOS: Using FaceTime

As you can see from the document, FaceTime over 3G should work on a 4S, though obviously it will work waaaaay better on an iPhone that can handle LTE if that's available.

So, the problem is with Sprint. Which doesn't surprise me one little bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.