Installing a SSD

Reaction score
I am interested in installing an SSD on my Macbookpro 6.2. I would want to install a larger SSD than the 500GB HD already installed.
Has anyone had problems with this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not double post your question. And don't tag on to another thread and start a new subject. I moved your post to its own thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looking at the specs for your MBP the largest SSD listed is 512GB. Download Mactracker for all model information.

OP
K
Reaction score
Looking at the specs for your MBP the largest SSD listed is 512GB. Download Mactracker for all model information.

Thanks Harry, if I can't get more space, it may not be worth the effort. I want a disc large enough to have an os 10.6.8 bootable as well as the main install so I can move easily between the two versions. I need Rosetta sometimes.

I have kept my install discs, plus I have a clone of the current image which I would re-do before I started. Not having Rosetta is a pain. Karl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not really Karl.

We all have to move on eventually as Apple reportedly has no more security updates for Snow Leopard.

OP
K
Reaction score
We don't HAVE to move on at all

Hi Harry,

No we don't HAVE to move on! Computer suppliers. and operating system suppliers have an obligation to maintain backwards compatibility. Apple did it brilliantly when it introduced OS X on the power-pc series. I can still run OS 7 apps on my power PC lap top (which I have kept, complete with its start up discs...).

My wife, for example, is happily using her (intel) macbook with OS 10.4.11. Its fast, stable and holds few surprises for her. The simplest upgrade short of a new machine (around $1300 she doesn't want to spend), would take about 6 hrs (back up HDD, make a clone, test it, go though about two stages of update, test it, plus the machine will need more memory.)

For many users (even corporate ones) the effort associated with an upgrade could approach the effort of changing platforms. This "reverse lockin" was ignored by many cpu manufacturers in the 70's and 80's, with a predicted effect.

I would take a lot of convincing that Apple could NOT have come up with a virtual machine solution that would have allowed users to run multiple apple OS's, or, that it was not technically competent enough to come up with a new version of Rosetta that would run under Maverick.

As I said, we don't HAVE to move on!

Karl

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Does your Mac have an internal DVD drive. The specs I looked at suggest that it does. If so, you might consider ditching the internal DVD drive and using something like the Data Doubler. This allows you to put your existing hard drive in the DVD bay.

Doing without an internal DVD wasn't a big step for me since the drive was starting to fail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I have had three different SSDs in my MBPro17 (mid-2010) since I bought it: M4 256GB first, put in the day I bought it, then M400 512GB about 18 months later, and finally - M500 960GB. Currently I have two Crucial M500 960GB SSDs as few months ago I replaced the optical drive with a second SSD and put the DVD in an external enclosure (haven't used it for ages anyway), just as advised by Slydude above.

The new 1TB M550 looks promising, so I'd expect 1.5TB and maybe 2TB to follow, just in time for the next upgrade :)

Oh, and in answer to your question - not a single problem after any of these four SSD installations. The MBP17 is built like a tank and with storage capacity taken care of, I'd expect it to last much longer than, 4yrs it is approaching now ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The MBP17 is built like a tank and with storage capacity taken care of, I'd expect it to last much longer than, 4yrs it is approaching now ...

It's really a shame Apple has abandoned the 17" MacBook Pro. I know it's heavy and all that, but it's such a beautiful machine with a great display. It's truly a portable desktop computer. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
It's really a shame Apple has abandoned the 17" MacBook Pro. I know it's heavy and all that, but it's such a beautiful machine with a great display. It's truly a portable desktop computer. :)

Absolutely! I wish they'd retained the 17" option as a "built to order" or suchlike, at least then I could have had an option to get a new one when the time comes, albeit at a premium... I actually haven't owned a desktop for 12yrs now ... all, but one, of my briefcases can accommodate MBP17, and were selected for that reason LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.