iMac won't sleep; Trackpad and Keyboard eat batteries

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
I love my iMac (specs at bottom) but this one had a problem sleeping once I got and connected the Magic Trackpad and Keyboard via Bluetooth.

Also, the batteries do no seem to last long. A few weeks? I had rechargeables and alkaline, but changed the trackpad batteries just last week and now it says 8%.

I set un-checked the Bluetooth Preference so the Trackpad and Keyboard could not wake the iMac. That, oddly, seemed to let the computer sleep properly
--> Huh?!?!?!?

Then, I now have to wake the iMac by the power button, and manually press the buttons on the Trackpad and Keyboard to get them paired.

I saw some threads about updating their software, but don't see how to do that from within the Preferences pane. Or is that old advice, now handled by Software Update?

I'm just puzzled by this stuff...

20-inch Late 2006
Processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what it is worth over years experimenting find the best batteries for keyboards, trackpads and mice are Energizer Ultimate Lithium. Currently experiencing six months on the keyboard and three to four months on trackpad/mouse. Worse results come from re-hargeables, but have just purchased Sanyo Eneloop 2500 mAh batteries which I believe are used by Apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't need no stinking wireless stuff, I love wires! Old dinosaurs love lots of wires hanging off their Mac. Never have trouble with batteries that way. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.