Inability to load OS X 10.5.2

Reaction score
A friend bought me a used MacBook. When I turn it on a file folder with a question mark appears on screen. I tried loading the operating system discs that came with it, but I can't get beyond the page that asks me where to load the system. It is a blank box with no options to choose from. there is an options button at the bottom, but it is gray and doesn't function. I don't know what else to try. Is it something wrong with the discs I was given, or could they be the wrong discs? Or is there something wrong with the MacBook itself and should I return it? I am a complete computer idiot. I used one at my job, but the techies took care of all this kind of stuff. Help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think you need to find out if the used MacBook has a hard drive installed. Or, if it does, whether or not the drive is a good one. Sounds like from your description that either the drive is missing or it's dead.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you responding. I noticed a note on the disc telling me to press the c key while loading. I tried it and it worked. Now the apple comes up and I have the screen with all the familiar applications. I figured out how to connect with the Internet . Now I am in the middle of trying to find out how to connect with my mailbox. If I'm not successful, I will ask for help again.

Again, thank you so much for giving me a hand!

dinosaur Lady

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.