Several Mavericks Issues

Reaction score
In the brain-scrambling world of modern computing I admit I belong to the Technodinosaurus species and find my old fanny chuckling at my ignoramus folly. Like the weather and capricious babies my desktop ( iMac ) Darling likes to surprise me with it's daily "moods" by randomly re-arranging my settings and other pranksterish mischief ... ( I recently downloaded and installed Mavericks OSX 10.9.2 and have since been victimized with lost files, random acts of mystery, and other pesky problems I know not where/how to begin to correct short of scrapping the whole system and starting anew. Are there others experiencing similar problems with Mavericks OSX I wonder? Oh yes, and I also purchased Lightroom 5 as n Adobe download and now my happy little iMac has taken to dumping mysterious cache files on my desktop?????? When I go into the preferences menus to examine and choose settings, all "seems" ok but I'm not sure if it is my error(s) causing these snafus? I use Safari browser ... can anyone help by sharing ideas or possible solutions bc I am poor & ugly and can't afford expensive repair gurus Any help id appreciated... thanks :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We're going to need a bit more information about what is happening. It sounds like you have several things happening so lets start with one at a time. Which problem is bothering you most?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, it's not likely to help you to know if others have had the same issues. If you provide some specifics about what has happened, perhaps there is a way to prevent it from happening again.

Your OS version is???
The applications acting up are....
What exactly is going wrong???

Generalizations are not going to help to troubleshoot a real problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
I did specify "losing files", random cache files dumped on desktop, settings changing by no action of mine, ... I also specified Mavericks OSX 10.9.2 and Safari Browser ...
I think this information is more than "generalization"

As stated... being an ignoramus on tech issues, I can't identify "exactly" which applications are acting up...

I have consulted with Apple Support by phone and am presently being shepherded through the process of re-installing Mavericks OSX 10.9.2 and this may clear up my issues ... "may" ??

If this does solve my problem(s) all well & good... if not, as I discover and identify "exact" apps or programs I will toss my cap back into the forum fray... so all you advanced brainiacs may have an easier time of offering any help.... if that is you can tolerate we novices ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, I did miss the fact that you stated your OS version. However, the generalizations to which I refer are still presenting a roadblock to offering help:

"...randomly re-arranging my settings and other pranksterish mischief ... ( I recently downloaded and installed Mavericks OSX 10.9.2 and have since been victimized with lost files, random acts of mystery, and other pesky problems..."

Like, what settings are being rearranged? What other mysterious mischief are you seeing? As the other person offering help asked, which problem is the most pesky? Describe it and maybe we'll have a solution. Really, "lost files" is a generalization as well. It would help to know what application(s) created the lost files, if you can determine that. If it's too much trouble to be specific, then hopefully the measures you've taken will provide a permanent fix.

Like many on this forum, I'm trying to help. There are many new users who post here and get help, all of whom are welcome. That's what the site exists for. But as many details as you can provide about the problem are certainly going to help us to help you, if you want help. We might have to ask you for more details if we cannot figure out the problem(s) well enough to offer possible solutions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.