Upgrade to Mavericks free ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
Lately I have been getting a lot of Phishing emails so I am suspicious of a Pop Up I just got telling me I can upgrade to Maverick for Free. I had two choices " more details" and "not now" . I took "not now" I had no way to close the page with out clicking on one of the buttons. Is there any truth to this offer?
Thanks
Barbara

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Mavericks is free.
Where did the emails come from (sender)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Yes, Mavericks is a free upgrade available in the Mac App store.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was not an email offer. I was reading a newsletter I subscribe to and it came as a Pop up. It had the logo for Apps I think and said I could upgrade for free.

Considering all the Phishing I am getting lately I am very cautious.

I even got a Phishing email from "Apple" telling me some one bought the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in the itunes store and used my account. I knew it had to be Phishing because my old CC on file was cancelled ( due to identity theft) I got a new CC since I last used the Apple store for anything . I forwarded the Phishing email to Apple . When I looked for the address to report it I read several others have gotten the same email
Barbara

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What browser to you use? Those pop-ups can probably be blocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP, iPhone 6, iPad4, iPad Mini Retnia, WHS 2011
Not only should you block pop-ups, one should never click on one without knowing and trusting the source.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I normally use Safari, and I have Pop-Ups blocked, but every so often one sneaks in . I also have Firefox on my computer. Some sites don't get along well with Safari

. There was no close button at the top left on the Pop-Up offering the free Mavericks so I had to chose one of the buttons to get out of there . I chose "Not Now .

I also set Adobe Flash player to notify me before anyone sets information on my computer
I have my Cookies in Safari set to block all third parties and advertisers , but that doesn't prevent a lot of them. A lot of cookies were set before I changed Adobe Flash player to notify me and they have renewing cookies for dates as far out as 50 years . As fast as I delete them they are back !

I have considered having Firefox as my primary browser, but I am not sure all of my bookmarks would transfer as I have them set up . I have them all organized into folders

I may upgrade to Mavericks when I have time to deal with it
Thanks again
Barbara

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have considered having Firefox as my primary browser, but I am not sure all of my bookmarks would transfer as I have them set up . I have them all organized into folders

Both Firefox and Chrome will import your Safari bookmarks and maintain the same folder hierarchy. I've done it several times and the transition works well. Except I don't like Firefox. ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both Firefox and Chrome will import your Safari bookmarks and maintain the same folder hierarchy. I've done it several times and the transition works well. Except I don't like Firefox. ;)

What don't you like about Firefox?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What don't you like about Firefox?

Several things: It's slower than Chrome or Safari and there are some web pages that I use that do not render as well as with the other two browsers. I also used Opera for awhile and totally gave up on it - horribly slow and clumsy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
+1 for Adblock for Safari. It works very well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.