iTunes [Movies] - wrong folder used

Reaction score
When adding movies to iTunes they end up in the 'Home Video' folder, I then manually move them to 'Movies'

Can I change this behaviour?

Why would the default folder for Movies be Home Movies, not Movies???

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This is one change in the current iTunes that drives me nuts. It seems that any video imported into iTunes gets tagged as "Home Video". Here's the only solution I have found so far:

1. Select one or more videos and choose Command + i or choose File>Get Info
2. In the sheet that appears select the Options tab.
3. Change the Media Kind drop down to reflect the type of video.

When you click OK iTunes will modify the tag information and move the video to the correct section (movie, music video, etc.).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you are adding a "proper" movie that has metadata and artwork available for it, then keeping that in a listing separate from videos you shot at home with a camcorder or cellphone that wouldn't have any such metadata makes sense to me, since the latter truly would be "home movies". The problem is the lack of tagging in the movies being added, unless the OP is in fact adding self-shot videos and just wants them in the other category.

If you are in fact adding "movies" to iTunes, I highly recommend tagging them in advance to add artwork and other data. iDentify is, by far, the best at this.
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33814/identify

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.