"Bounce" button in Mail 7.2

Reaction score
I know Apple removed the "Bounce" button in Mail many versions ago but I was using a 3rd party App. I just upgraded to Mavericks which is Mail 7.2 and that 3rd party app will not install. Does anyone know where there is a download for it?

Reaction score
Mail is not a 3rd party app. it is part of OSX.
You find it in the Applications folder.
If you accidently trashed it, you can get it back by downloading the Mavericks Combo update and running that: OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I know Apple removed the "Bounce" button in Mail many versions ago but I was using a 3rd party App. I just upgraded to Mavericks which is Mail 7.2 and that 3rd party app will not install. Does anyone know where there is a download for it?

Are you asking for an updated download for the third-party app that you were using for bouncing email? We'd need the name of the app in order to assist.

Reaction score
Exactly what third party app were you using? If a Mail bundle, it might not have been updated yet, if it can be.

OP
B
Reaction score
And if you've been using Mac Mail for some time you will remember this as an icon with a blue "check mark / arrow" that you could add to the Toolbar and with one click on this button it would "bounce" the junk email back to the sender so it appeared to be a bad email address. After time, it would help to reduce junk mail. The sender's "robot" would think it sent to a bad email address and remove your address off their blasts lists.

Maybe there is an Automator script that would do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
A "Bounce" button was once included in Mail in Snow Leopard and back. Apple removed it when they released Lion. There is a 3rd party Script that restores it. I was using it in Lion and Mountain Lion. I just tried to install it in Mavericks but it will not install.

Restore Bounce Mail Button To Lions Mail for Mac - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

We understand what the Bounce function was. What we were asking was the name of the 3rd party script, which you provided in the link in your followup posting. The name of the 3rd party script is "Restore Bounce Mail Button To Lions Mail" which is hosted on cnet.com.

My advice would be for you to contact the script's developer, whose name and contact information is given in the post that you linked to: [email protected]

Failing that, I would suggest leaving a comment on the page that you linked to.

Reaction score
Don't know if you can put the button back but you should be able to use the script. Or, if you're able, turn it into an Automator Service you can use in Mail.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple removed it because "bounce" buttons or various bounce schemes just don't work or are not reliable. Spammers are clever enough to never allow "bounced" mail back to them or they would soon be out of business. ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use a script and I am pretty sure it still works in Mavericks mail. Will try it later and get back to you. If mine works I will post it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
I thought the "Bounce" feature is now called "Redirect." If not, just what is "Redirect"?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And as far as "Bounce" not working - I don't know for sure but it seemed, that while I was using it I received less Spam

It has never really worked which is why it was removed. I rely more on my ISP's filters which seem to keep Spam out of my mail. I use gmail and it's very effective at removing spam. So effective in fact, that I have to check once in awhile to make sure good mail isn't in the spam dump.

Reaction score
I'd like to have it back!

Because my apple id is very old, and only 4 letters, I often people think it is theirs so they give it to their Doctors, their friends, their stores, their schools, etc.... It especially happens with children.

When I had 10.6 I could bounce the email and people would understand that the email address they have been given was wrong. In the absence of "Bounce", I have sometimes replied to tell them that they have the wrong email and the people say they are sorry and will get the correct address.

My solution has been to keep one computer on 10.6 just so I could keep the "Bounce" feature, so I don't have to tell possible spammers that my address is valid. I'm not talking about spammers as they are automatically moved to junk.

I'd like a script that would replicate the "Bounce" function of old.
Kori

Reaction score
Reaction score
And if you've been using Mac Mail for some time you will remember this as an icon with a blue "check mark / arrow" that you could add to the Toolbar and with one click on this button it would "bounce" the junk email back to the sender so it appeared to be a bad email address. After time, it would help to reduce junk mail. The sender's "robot" would think it sent to a bad email address and remove your address off their blasts lists.

Maybe there is an Automator script that would do this?

Barry,
You have probably figured this out by now, but one solution is to use an Automator script to add the Bounce choice to the Services Menu in Mail. That's less convenient than the toolbar button was, but it is a workaround that seems to work OK. Just search for "bounce mail service" and you will find complete instructions from a couple sources.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.