Trash Items disappearing when clicked on.

Reaction score
When I click on items in my Trash folder, to see what's in them, they disappear! I've never had this happen before. Someone 'assisted me with security' on my Snow Leopard, and I'm not sure if they're connected now! I'm seeing some related posts, but not sure if the same. >>( I'm very low-level technically, so, pardon: directions would have to more basic than many I read here.) Thanks!

Reaction score
items in my Trash folder
when that item is an empty folder, it looks as if it dissappears. Use the back arrow in Finder to go back one step.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks LesX, Apologies for late response: on and off Mac a bit. Well, that trick didn't work just now, as there is no option to do back or forward arrows...the problem is still there. Any other suggestions? I'm unsure if I'm deleting important things. They were removed by Magican, after a scan, but I haven't the faintest if I'm ditching any important things. I see storeagent, with appfirewall.log.0.bz2; DataDetectorsAgent with com.apple.iWork.Pages; Adobe with Flash Player; Firefox has "Profiles" under it); com.apple.QuickLookDaemon --with Little Snitch Agent.log and Little Snitch Network Monitor.log under it (...and, though I registered Little Snitch, it keeps saying I didn't register it!); QuickTime with StreamingBandwidth under it; Metadata, with Safari under it and MANY bookmarks::WHY would my bookmarks disappear? (*Oops...now I see that after it seems that they disappeared when clicked on, they moved to bottom, but, still no "back arrow" option.) When my volume on my iTunes sometimes jumps up or down, and other such strange things occur, I get the feeling I'm not the only one on here...**Is there a way to really check?** I know these are different issues I'm presenting, but it's all a bit confusing. Thanks for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Magican: This makes me jump, Jim. These "cleaners" are killing apps (other well known CleanMyMac, and MacKeeper): they cripple the mac and cause lots of trouble.
Advice: never install any software that cleans, optimizes, guards, keeps, speeds, boosts, and so on.
1. I propose to uninstall every software like that.,
2. then do a complete restore of the OSX, it is damaged:
(this takes some time and you have need of a good internet connection)
restart the mac while holding CMD+R keys: you will enter a menu with 4 menu items, choose Restore the OS, it will restore OS completely, it will not delete any user data (but of course you have backups).
Lex

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Lex, Thank you for your response. Oh my, now I'm even more concerned: you see, I have L Snitch, too, from my comments. What you recommend sounds awfully easy, but 1) does it mean I'll have to install every program I want back in, afterwards? 2) is this just as easy (ahem-very hard for Mr SloTech) as switching / upgrading to Mavericks? and 3) if a keylogger or other malware or remote monitoring were installed on here, couldn't it/they be set to go to Ext Hard Drives, including one with backup on it? So, if I put the backup on, after 'restore of OSX', won't I possibly have 'over-riding' malware on here? Sorry to go in circles w this, but that's the whole point here, not knowing what I face. Is there a way to ensure I have NO external monitoring going on? If the LS isn't real or working right, it could be 'hiding' such goings-on. I have to run out briefly, but I'll watch for your answer. Thx again! :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Also: 1) I have EXTREMELY slow Internet where I am (3rd world)...so, I don't know if what you suggest would work, or if I could download Mavericks, for that matter (* would a 7-yr-old Mac w only 95GB avail take the Mav OSX and keep going?), and 2) isn't there a way to dump the programs, as you suggest, and simply install a good protection program (AVG or another??)...or, might it be too late for that, if I've been compromised ... and, my earlier questions stands: is there a 'neutral' way to see if there's a remote or other malware on here? I don't think I see it going in "Activity Monitor," but not sure here. Thx More.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
open Finder

On the Menu Bar up top - click on View

select: Show Path Bar, Show Status Bar, Show Tool Bar, Show Sidebar

still no arrows on the Tool Bar of Finder, right click on the Tool Bar and select Customize Tool Bar and add the arrows

--------------------------------------------------------------

There is one "cleaning" utility recommended for those just starting out on OS X. That is Onyx - it is free - does not delete anything that may make your machine unstable nor any of your applications unusable - and it is available here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Do not download anything from Softonic or Download dot com
Both are known to house spyware inside application downloads.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Since none of us know what options you used with Magician - and not sure if anyone here has a test system they're willing (or inclined) to install it on and see what all it does - personally I would open the Trash - highlight everything that's there - right click - then select 'Put Back' to put it all back where it came from. Uninstall Magician - hopefully it has an uninstaller that will remove it fully. Then start a new thread with any individual problems you may have.

Reaction score
@JIM:
LittleSnitch has to go too. Most tools are counterproductive and/or badly programmed. It does not matter how or where you install them. You make new backups when these tools are uninstalled and you have restarted, make backups to an external disk only. For now I think your OS is compromised, and you have to do a restore, like I said. It is as easy as updating, but it is not the same, updating would not help you here.
If you want me to go in more detail, download a listing program called Etrecheck, run it and post the list here that avoids a lot of questions (no personal information will be included in that list). Download it from Etresoft
Lex

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, thanks, both.
BobtoMay: The "put back" R click doesn't work for me, I can see if other steps you mention do. I did note that after the Magican scan and 'move items to trash' last done, my GoogleEarth started working again after being non-functional for a bit. Being very low on funds, the ONYX program tempts...but, of course, i worry about another issue from another free program...that might be what got me here.
LexS OK...I will look at the steps you say...have to finish a couple things today/tomorrow first. Where I am, there are virtually NO Mac stores or techs, all costs more than I have, and I'll be SOL if I have no working computer...not connected to the outside world, essentially. Thanks to both of you, really, and any follow up info, given these comments is equally appreciated. You guys are great!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.