External hard drive not recognized

Reaction score
I'm trying to use a Macbook pro hard drive as an external. I have it now in a SATA 2.5" enclosure, and I am trying to access the files on it. I have tried the drive on multiple computers and it never seems to mount properly. It appears in disc utility, but when I try to mount it I get a Verify volume failed: Unrecognized Filesystem Error. The repair tools are also grayed out in disk utility. Is there any way to access these files?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
It could be that your enclosure is malfunctioning. Have you tried a known working drive in it?

I've seen this problem when an enclosure needs a power source because the power supplied by USB isn't enough.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't use enclosures because of the various problems that are associated with them. I use one of these. Well worth the price and since it's from OWC, it's good quality.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't use enclosures because of the various problems that are associated with them. I use one of these. Well worth the price and since it's from OWC, it's good quality.

Outstanding device. I don't know how I got along without it. Highly recommended.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I think the problem actually be that it's a hard drive from a machine running lion, and I'm trying to mount it on a macbook running snow leopard. I'm assuming there's some kind of compatibility issue there. Is there any way to get around this? Or do I just need to find a machine running Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If the drive was formatted for OSX, even an earlier version, you should be able to see it on your Mac.

Reaction score
Unfortunately you have done what so many people do - or rather don't do. You have not kept your precious files backed up on a second drive. Never, ever save your data on just one hard drive because it can fail at any time.
With any luck, the only part that has failed is the SATA/USB Bridge Chip inside the enclosure (it's a small PCB). If you can extract the hard drive from the enclosure and remove the bridge chip, you may be able to fit it inside a third-party enclosure and plug that into your PC

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks for the responses. I think the problem actually be that it's a hard drive from a machine running lion, and I'm trying to mount it on a macbook running snow leopard. I'm assuming there's some kind of compatibility issue there. Is there any way to get around this? Or do I just need to find a machine running Lion?

Booting the drive could be an issue.

Just mounting the drive from within 10.6 would not be. It is not a "compatibility" issue. Both versions of OS X read and write to the same format.

Either the drive or the enclosure is not working.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your help ferrarr. Holding down option and selecting the external as the startup worked perfectly. Although, I'm still unclear why I could never read the drive normally on the PowerMac (running 10.6) that I plugged it into. Disk Utility would always give me a unrecognized filesystem error.

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry not a PowerMac, a Mac Pro 4,1. On both the Mac Pro (running 10.6) and an old macbook (running 10.5), the MacBook Pro Hard Drive always gave an unrecognized filesystem error. I was able to use the drive as boot drive on the Mac Pro, so everything is fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.