Setup Airport Express with iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
I am trying to setup a new Airport Express with iPad Air.
I want to use the AE as stand alone connected to my HiFi to play music from iPad. (I think this is possible?)
I have the Airport Utility app on the iPad but it doesnt find the AE.

When I switch on AE it goes through green to constant amber then after a few seconds begins to flash.

I have the AE connected to the mains but no other cables.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
When the amber is flashing it is in the setup mode and on your iPad select choose a network it should find it.
I found the easiest way to set it up is to hook it up to your modem/router via ethernet and set up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
To expand on what's already been said:

Plug you Express into the power.
Go to Settings wi-fi
At the bottom of the page you'll see your express.
Touch it to connect and it'll jump you into Airport Utility to configure it.

You can't do it straight from Airport Utility when first configuring because it's not connected to the network.

The alternative, mentioned, is to connect it by cable to your router first.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
Thank you both.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does AE have to be connected by Ethernet cable to the router to function?

I was hoping that it would stand alone next to my HiFi and stream from my iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No. You can configure to 'join an existing network'

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am doing something wrong here. I connected the AE by Ethernet to my hub in order to edit AEsettings through iPad. Change WiFi mode to Join a Wireless network. I then disconnect from hub but iPad doesn't find AE?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reset (plug in then press and hold the little reset button down for 10 seconds before releasing)and start again using my instructions above. When you choose to join a wireless network, ensure it's the right SSID for your router and that the password is accepted OK.

You'll also need to make sure you enable Airplay Music

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. I have gone through the setup process to create a network. Then in Airport Utility I went into Wireless and changed Network Mode from Create a Wireless Network to Join a Wireless network. Then Update. When that is complete the green light changes from green to flashing amber and in Airport Utility there is a red number 1 to the side. Airplay enabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can do it in one go, you don't have to repeat the process.

When joining the network did that work ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. I have gone through the setup process to create a network. Then in Airport Utility I went into Wireless and changed Network Mode from Create a Wireless Network to Join a Wireless network. Then Update. When that is complete the green light changes from green to flashing amber and in Airport Utility there is a red number 1 to the side. Airplay enabled.

Click on the number and it should tell you what needs addressing .

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it works ok and joins the network when ethernet cable is connected and configured through my Mac. Pairing shows in iPad. But when I disconnect the ethernet cable and try to connect with iPad it wont detect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reset, no Ethernet, find the airport express in Settings - Wi-Fi and configure it to join a network.

The 1 badge is either a pointer to an error, as advised, or indicating a firmware update is available

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. I reset and Mac found the AE wirelessly. I reconfigured to join a network. It hung for sometime and then "error occurred" and the AE greyed out in Airport Utility.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I finally got the iPad to connect wirelessly. But it seems that I can either have a connection to my router and the internet, or a connection to the Airport Express.
I am wanting to stream radio player from the iPad to Airport Express so it seems that I cant do that because I cant get the internet to source the music?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What router/modem are you using ?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thank you. I reset and Mac found the AE wirelessly. I reconfigured to join a network. It hung for sometime and then "error occurred" and the AE greyed out in Airport Utility.

OK, I finally got the iPad to connect wirelessly. But it seems that I can either have a connection to my router and the internet, or a connection to the Airport Express.
I am wanting to stream radio player from the iPad to Airport Express so it seems that I cant do that because I cant get the internet to source the music?

I suggest that you configure it through the Mac.
Start from Scratch and reset the AE and so this until you see it in Other WiFi Devices and click on it. Then go through and set it up too join the Network.
Make sure the BT Router is set to Wireless and connect to that network.

I have found if it gets greyed out, you need to try again. The AE's are really temperamental little so and so's and make sure you are right next to it. If your in another room, it seems to play up and give the grey out.

I have just been re-setting mine up, after moving house, and I got Error after error. As I said they are temperamental but it will connect.
Cant remember seeing if its the New AE that looks like a Apple TV or the old one the plugs into the Power Socket ?? But just persevere it WILL finally connect.

Then when you playing music in the Music App or via iTunes on the Mac, look for the Sharing icon and look for the AE (What ever you named it in the Setup ~ it won't be the Wireless network name) and connect to that. If its set up with a password, put that in and away you go . . .

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suggest that you configure it through the Mac.
Start from Scratch and reset the AE and so this until you see it in Other WiFi Devices and click on it. Then go through and set it up too join the Network.
Make sure the BT Router is set to Wireless and connect to that network.

I have found if it gets greyed out, you need to try again. The AE's are really temperamental little so and so's and make sure you are right next to it. If your in another room, it seems to play up and give the grey out.

I have just been re-setting mine up, after moving house, and I got Error after error. As I said they are temperamental but it will connect.
Cant remember seeing if its the New AE that looks like a Apple TV or the old one the plugs into the Power Socket ?? But just persevere it WILL finally connect.

Then when you playing music in the Music App or via iTunes on the Mac, look for the Sharing icon and look for the AE (What ever you named it in the Setup ~ it won't be the Wireless network name) and connect to that. If its set up with a password, put that in and away you go . . .

Thank you very much. Its a new type. Will give it a go. If I set up on the Mac should I be able to play music sourced from the Internet from my iPad? i.e. Spotify or Radio Player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.