Adobe Flash Player on Mac

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I apologize for bringing up this topic of having Adobe Flash Player on Mac OS X, but I have several concerns about allowing it to be installed on my Mac that several threads I have read do not include.
- Is it safe to have Adobe FP on my MacBook Pro?
- Is it better to keep using Chrome over Safari due to Chrome having built in FP?

I currently run Chrome as my default browser and use the "Click to Play" feature under "Plug-ins" on my browser so that Adobe FP only runs when I allow it to when a video/ad is present.
I want to run Safari as my main browser because Chrome EATS my battery life, but it does not have Adobe FP installed as of now. I do not know if it is fully "safe" to keep it installed on my Mac. Any useful information or suggestions of what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I just want to take the full precautions of having the best security on my Mac due to having extremely important files on it. I hope these questions are not too stupid to ask, thank you to those who reply:)

Reaction score
Install Flash. Install Click to Flash extension for Safari. Same thing.
Just make sure you get it from Adobe.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, the only difference I see is that the Adobe FP is not directly installed in my system, so it does not have the chance to harm my system if it is unsafe.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Every piece of software is insecure - everything from Flash to OS X and everything in between. If you need it, you have no choice but to install it. That said, you can be smart and keep it up to date (it has a built in updater that will prompt you when new versions are available).

As for using Chrome instead, there's no difference. In each case, Flash is used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Under Mavericks and Mountain Lion Flash Player version 12.0.0.77 appears on the bottom row of System preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Security is one thing, but when I reloaded my machines with Mountain Lion (and lately, Mavericks) I decided to leave Flash off. If a site just had to have it to run, I would find some other website for my surfing.

The Mini didn’t seem to care. It is an i7, four core box with 16gb of ram. Lots of power for what I do. But my MacBook Air rejoiced over the decision. Innumerable times before, I would have to power down and reboot, a là windoze, to get the performance back. Or to stop the overspeeding fan, or just suddenly realize that my legs were cooking under the aluminum case with the battery meter falling like a rock.

With no Flash, those problems have never returned. I now fully agree with Steve Jobs that the use of Flash most definitely does su… is equivalent to forcibly breathing in a large quantity of air through a hose.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Or to stop the overspeeding fan, or just suddenly realize that my legs were cooking under the aluminum case with the battery meter falling like a rock.
If you're a guy, there are other reasons that you shouldn't be using it on your lap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And this week's release is 14.0.0.145.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're a guy, there are other reasons that you shouldn't be using it on your lap.

Yup. But there is another factor that you are missing. I first started working on computers when they had vacuum tubes.

Of course, those got hot, too:Blushing:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yup. But there is another factor that you are missing. I first started working on computers when they had vacuum tubes.

Of course, those got hot, too:Blushing:

LOL, I don't think you put one of those on your lap. The IBM mainframe computer used by the US Air Defense Command back in the early 60's (vacuum tubes) took up an entire building of over 15,000 square feet! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the problem wasn't heat, but the opposite. Computer rooms in those days would freeze anything off, especially if you had to pull a floor tile to work. I got many a strange look while walking across a black asphalt parking lot in August (in Texas!) and carrying a bulky military field jacket and gloves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.