Mid 2013 MBA Sleep/Wake Issue

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post and I'm interested to see if any other peeps from this forum are having a similar experience?
I keep getting Black Screen Off Death at least twice a week. I close the lid to put it in to sleep then come back to the computer later and it won't wake up. I have to do a hard restart.
A new issue that has just started to happen is that my wifi won't work after a hard restart. I get a pop up telling me that i have no wifi hardware installed. Weird!?
Anyway this has been happening for a few months. I updated to 10.9.2 as i was told that it has a fix for this problem. It didn't work.
I wonder if its a hard ware or soft ware issue? I did have sleep /wake issues before i up graded to Mavericks, but since the upgrade they have got worse.
Ive only has this computer since last july and i have extended apple care which is a relief. I phoned up the tech support and told them the symptoms and they put me through to a higher level of tech support. They had no solution to my problem but they wanted to send me a free gift of a 1TB seagate hard drive for my trouble which was nice of them but also weird! I didn't even rant at them or cause a scene!
This MBA is great and i have the 13" i7 512gb 8gb version. If they can't fix it I'm afraid its going back for a replacement.
The impression was that i wasn't the first MBA 2013 owner to have this problem.
Anyone else having these issues with the MBA and has anyone else been given a freebee from apple for the sleep wake issue?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Your question...Is this a software or hardware issue?...is a good one. I usually like to explore the software part first.

Sometimes problems like this can happen when 3rd party apps are installed. Little apps that allow for customization of the interface...or do little utility jobs like maintenance, or fun things, or cute things...etc. And they don't always "play-well" with the Mac OS.

I don't know if you've installed anything like this...but if you have...maybe you can uninstall them...or turn their effects off. Otherwise...I would be inclined to do a complete OS reinstall...so you can start from the beginning...with a "virgin" OS install.

If you still have problems after a complete "virgin" OS install...this would lead me to believe that it could be a hardware issue. Which of course then the Applecare kicks in to fix things.

If an OS install seems too drastic for you...you could try booting into "Safe Mode":

OS X Mavericks: Start up in safe mode
How to Use Your Mac's Safe Boot Option

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply pigoo3. I will try the safe boot/mode and see what happens. Hopefully that might help to narrow down the problem. Thanks for the links.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.