New M/B pro, black screen, no start up

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone has had this issue, for the right reasons.

New Macbook Pro, less than a year old. This started two months ago. I travel, so I use the computer for work, but I also watch DVD's while flying. When I have stopped the DVD, closed the DVD window, and shut down the computer, I get a black screen when trying to start it up again. I have to turn it on and off again until I can finally get he DVD to eject. I have to shut it down agin, and when I re-start it, it opens-no problem.

To by-pass the problem, I made sure I removed the DVD before shut down. That was working. Two days ago, with NO DVD in the drive, I got the black screen on start up. I could not get the computer to start at all, just a black screen. When I shut it down, I can here something mechanical 'clicking' when it powers down. I am fairly certain the optical drive is interfering with the start up process.

Took it to a local repair place, found on Apple's website, and they could not get the problem to re-occur. So now I'm stuck with a phantom problem, a new computer and nothing to document as a problem. I'm sure I'll be told to leave it at the local Apple store until the problem happens agian, that could be a month from now.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!;D

Scott

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
New Macbook Pro, less than a year old.

I am fairly certain the optical drive is interfering with the start up process.

I'm sure I'll be told to leave it at the local Apple store until the problem happens agian, that could be a month from now.

If you indeed have a hardware issue...and this computer is still less than a year old...I would get to an Apple Store ASAP. They can usually diagnose (and repair if necessary) these issue's pretty quickly.

Every new computer comes with 12 months of Applecare...so you are good to go there. Even better if you purchased the Extended Applecare.

- Nick

p.s. You must have purchased one of the very few Apple models that still has an optical drive. Most Apple computers sold within the last year or so no longer have an optical drive. Or maybe you got it refurbished from Apple (older models found there).

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you Nick. I will take it to an Apple store.

It should not be a re-fribished unit, bought it new from Best.

Scott

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you Nick. I will take it to an Apple store.

This is the best way to handle it. Hopefully you can duplicate the problem while at the Apple Store. Or their diagnostic software can detect it (assuming it's hardware).

If it's a software issue...they generally have ways of booting the computer from an alternate source... so as to not boot from your computers storage (in case it's a software problem).

It should not be a re-fribished unit, bought it new from Best.

I only mentioned "refurbished"...since you bought your computer within the last year...and most Apple models within the last year+ no longer have optical drives. So IF you had purchased your computer directly from Apple...it would either have to be one of the few models with an optical drive...or it came from the refurbished section (where older models still are for sale).

If you got it from Best Buy...it could have been an older stock unit. And for "God's Sake"...DON'T TAKE IT TO BEST BUY for any diagnostic/troubleshooting/repair work. DEFINITELY take it to Apple!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.