iPad iOS7.1

Reaction score
I'm just starting to find my way around my new iPad (a gift for my 70th birthday). I was told that if I have an iPhone (which I have) there is no need to have a separate sim for the iPad. Is this correct?

C

chas_m

Congrats on your iPad, and your birthday! If I recall correctly, 70 is the age at which you are finally allowed to say anything that's on your mind and get away with it! :)

What I think the person who was telling you that was talking about is "cellular data." As you probably know, your iPhone and iPad can use Wi-Fi (as you may have in your home, or find in a library or coffee shop etc) just fine. For places where you need Internet access but there is no Wi-Fi around, those devices need "cellular data," which you pay for as part of a monthly plan.

What I think they were trying to say is that if you have cellular data on your iPhone plan, you *MAY* be able to use the iPhone to create a "wi-fi hotspot" using its cellular data. On my phone the option is called a "personal hotspot." If you turn it on and set a password, then other devices (like your iPad, or a friend's iPad) can use your cellular data like a wi-fi hotspot -- all they need is the password you set.

You'll need to check with your provider to see if they allow "personal hotspots" without charging you anything extra. If they don't allow it, you won't see the "personal hotspot" option on your iPhone's settings.

I do this all the time -- I want to use my iPad and keyboard to do some writing and email and such, but I'm outdoors enjoying the day or in a place that doesn't have Wi-Fi. I turn my iPhone's personal hotspot on, and a few seconds later my iPad has "picked it up" and away I go. Obviously, if you're using your phone's data you may need to be mindful of your plan's limit to avoid overcharges.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your very helpful response, chas_m, and for your kind words.

It seems you're right about the internet access. The lady who told me that probably didn't realize that my iPhone is on pre-paid. Today my wife went and got a phone on a plan and they said it had cellular data (I asked, having read your post).

As for being 70. The irony is though, now that nothing I proclaim has any impact, I'm very careful about what I say, or write (in emails, forum posts, on Facebook, etc). 48 years in the workforce taught me that words can carry further than you want if you're not careful.

Cheers
Adrian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm just starting to find my way around my new iPad (a gift for my 70th birthday).

Congrats on the new iPad...and congrats on the 70th birthday!:)

Gonna give my mother-in-law an iPad for Mother's Day (I think that she's about 71/72). She has had a Mac-Mini for about the last 3-4 years...but still isn't too "tech-savvy". We will see how it goes with the iPad.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Congrats on the new iPad...and congrats on the 70th birthday!:)

Gonna give my mother-in-law an iPad for Mother's Day (I think that she's about 71/72). She has had a Mac-Mini for about the last 3-4 years...but still isn't too "tech-savvy". We will see how it goes with the iPad.:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick.
Hope your MIL likes the iPad.
My wife likes mine. Now she's got an iPhone 5S I guess next will be her own iPad. :)
Adrian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My wife likes mine. Now she's got an iPhone 5S I guess next will be her own iPad. :)

Maybe "your" iPad will become her iPad...then you'll have to get yourself another one. Amazing how that happens!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.