Late 2008 unibody macbook is dying

Reaction score
Is there anyway around this? It seems every aspect of my macbook is falling apart, crashing daily etc etc.
Recently I am completely unable to open Word 2011. Safari web content keeps crashing. Mail freezes. iPhone rarely registers on iTunes, System Prefs crashes, Wifi is unreliable, Finder crashes, System Updater freezes (necessitating a restart)

The majority of these problems started after I installed Mavericks. I have 20GB free space, 4GB ram.

I want to hold off on buying a new macbook for at least another year, but the way it is now it's almost unusable. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
20gig of free space on your HD is on the low side. Try deleteing or off-loading some items to free up space...and that should help a lot.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Have you ever done any maintenance (ie, OnyX as an example)?

You are using a six-year-old computer, maybe the hard drive is failing? How are your backups?

Do you do any clone backups? If so, if you boot from them do you still have the same issues?

Another idea: try creating a new, fresh admin-level account (just for troubleshooting). Seeing the same problems there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.