Internet help

Reaction score
I want to start out by saying I am not extremely computer savvy, so I need help in layman's terms.

I have an iMac that is about 8 years old, it crashed around 4 years ago and was fixed. I am currently running Mac OS X 10.7.5

The internet is wireless through a router and my two roommates have MacBooks and are not having any issues.

I have never had internet problems before, they started out of nowhere about a week ago. At first it would just take a while for a video to load now videos on netflix and hbogo are not working at all. So the actually website will load but the video will be buffering or loading forever.

When I try to use uTorrent it says 'Connection status: unavailable' or 'no incoming connection'

I am not sure if this is enough data to understand the problem so please let me know if there's any other information needed.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What kind of router do you have? Can you click on the Apple icon on the top left and then choose "About This Mac" and then More Info and tell us the specific year of the iMac, that will help greatly.

Is your problem just specific to load/playing videos or general connectivity issues with websites as well?

If it's purely a video issue, what kind of Internet package do you have? Who is your ISP? What are your two roommates doing on the network?

If you are the only one on the network doing anything, do things work better?

OP
H
Reaction score
when I clicked on more info it read mid 2007

it's really just videos and uTorrent but website take much longer to load.

My ISP is Comcast, my router is Xfinity Arris

It's the same when we are all on the internet or it's just me.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What is your package with Comcast? That is, what is your specified download speed specifically?

Can you hit up a site like Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test from your computer and see if you are seeing the kind of bandwidth your package should get you?

You mentioned a couple of video streaming sites, what kind of performance are you getting by visiting YouTube, Vimeo, and other free sites?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.