Using iPhone 5, 5c, or 5s in Newer Model Cars - Audio Jack Cable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I discovered this and thought I'd pass it on in case anyone is in a similar situation....

I had a 2011 Hyundai with the iPod audio jack and I was using the cable from the dealership. It has an audio jack and a USB next to each other. Worked fine with my iPhone 4, then I got the 5 and had to get the 30 pin - lightning adapter. No problem. Worked fine. Last week, we traded in the 2011 for a 2014 of the same make and model, and again they gave me the same audio cable and I used my same 30 pin adapter, only now it wasn't working. After some research on Apple's forums, I found out that I only needed to use the USB charging cable that came with my iPhone 5. The old way no longer works with some/most newer model cars. If you're running across this problem, just use your USB-to-lightning cable that came with your iPhone 5, 5c, or 5s.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a much older car (98 Mustang) and all I did was buy a cigar lighter USB adapter and an extra lightning cable from Monoprice. Works great to charge my 5c.

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I have a much older car (98 Mustang) and all I did was buy a cigar lighter USB adapter and an extra lightning cable from Monoprice. Works great to charge my 5c.

Oh yeah, I wasn't referring to charging specifically but playing iPod audio through the car stereo. These cars also allow for BT audio, but it doesn't display song/artist info that way so I prefer the cable method. It charges as well as plays music from my phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.