• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP! Problem with IMovie 11'

Reaction score
So, I've been working on a project on IMovie 11' since November w/ music & clips I downloaded from YouTube. I was more than half way finished with it, it was perfect & all of the sudden, it went nuts on me. The first thing that happened is an entire event folder of video footage greyed out - I assumed it was because I had over 10 hrs worth of clips & it was too full, so I moved some to another folder & it worked - all the clips came back & I could see them in the project.
The next time I opened the program, it was saying "Optimizing Video" & loading something. Then, it wouldn't even let me playback the project, edit or add anything to it. The thumbnails were still in the project & all the clips played within the event folders, showing the orange line indicating what was in the project ... but when I try to playback the project, it's just a grey screen & plays random audio from another one of my video projects.
I even tried exporting the movie & saving it to my computer - when I played it, it was a totally different video project!
None of my other video projects will play either, it only plays the audio & shows the grey screen. ALL the clips play in the event folders, so I don't understand why my projects won't playback.
Anybody have any idea what's going on here? It's really not letting me do anything & I'm really upset because I've worked so hard on this If anybody knows the problem or how I can fix it, I really appreciate the help!
If I have to, I might have to redownload IMovie & start over. I know there is a new version of IMovie, but if I update will I be able to get all my old projects & do you think they will work?
Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you make backups while working on the project? If you were using Time Machine, you can restore back to a time before the problems occurred.

OP
E
Reaction score
Did you make backups while working on the project? If you were using Time Machine, you can restore back to a time before the problems occurred.

Thanks for your response. I wish I had know that! It did save a file of the project on my computer as it always does & I have all the clips I used still saved.
I use this program all the time & it's never done this before, so it's really frustrating. I realized that when I first open IMovie, it will play other projects normally … but once I try to open the project I'm currently working on, it quits on me. It still won't let me edit or add to the projects.

Reaction score
I experienced almost exact symptoms with iMovie 9.0.4 and OS X 10.6.8. I went to purchase iMovie 11' and got message I needed to update from Leopard to Maverick in order to run iMovie 11'. After updating both, I'm back to work on my projects, without losing any of my previous work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.