Mouse nice and clean but...

Reaction score
I have the A1152 corded mouse which I had to take apart to clean. The alcohol, towel ,paper didn't do it. I had no trouble getting it apart and cleaned out the lint and crud inside. After putting the mouse back together the up scroll works fine but not the down. The down scroll wasn't working before I cleaned it either. Before mounting the roller ball back on to the top shell I checked to make sure that the little black and white rollers were all moving properly. I can't really afford a new mouse right now and the wireless mouse I'm using is ok but I prefer the apple mouse. Also, I'm in a "must fix this mouse" mindset. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on what might be wrong? My internet search turned up nothing.

Cheers, Jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello Jay - just buy a wireless mouse - there are just better ways to spend your valuable time? ;) Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any cheap corded USB optical mouse will work just fine. I bought one in "Big Lots" (a discount store) the other day for $5.00 and it works great. The contacts that control the scrolling on your Apple mouse may be worn enough that cleaning won't suffice to get them working again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hello Jay - just buy a wireless mouse - there are just better ways to spend your valuable time? ;) Dave

Dave, the OP already says he has a wireless mouse, but prefers his Apple mouse and is in the Mindset to get it fixed. He has the time obviously ;)

I can't really afford a new mouse right now and the wireless mouse I'm using is ok but I prefer the apple mouse. Also, I'm in a "must fix this mouse" mindset.

The contacts that control the scrolling on your Apple mouse may be worn enough that cleaning won't suffice to get them working again.

I happen to agree with Charlie. This mouse is 9yrs old, and in that time 100K worth of movements would wear the inner rollerballs down to a point that it doesn't make the contact needed to make it work as it should.

There are some for sale on eBay for $16 if your interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Dave, the OP already says he has a wireless mouse, but prefers his Apple mouse and is in the Mindset to get it fixed. He has the time obviously ;)

OK - my miss, i.e. did not read the entire post - sorry to the OP.

BUT, still why not just buy a new wired mouse if that is desired, they are cheap - just kind of dumbfounded w/ the desire to fix a mouse?

Just a story, years ago I have a good Chinese friend whose garbage disposal broke - now these are cheap replacements; well, he decided to try to fix the device himself - spent hours and don't know how much $$ for parts - well, for the $100 or so to buy a new one (which I had suggested in the first place), he would have spent not much more money and gotten a machine that worked fine w/ a lot of more life left to go - a broken mouse or keyboard falls into that category for me - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I say if it's an easy fix...go for it. But if it takes prolonged effort...depending on the value of the item...it may not be worth it. On the other hand...to some folks it's not about the value of the item...it's the challenge!;)

Of course there is always one other thing to consider (especially with electronic devices). Sometimes when they're broke...they're broke (worn out parts that are not replaceable).

I have some rollerball mice that I really like...but the micro-switches on them are starting to fail...so sometimes I get double-clicks when I want single clicks. They cost $19.99...not a lot...but I'm still trying to get as much "mileage" out of them as possible!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.