MBP 8,1 won't recognize Crucial M500 SSD

Reaction score
So I'm upgrading a Macbook Pro 8,1 with a Crucial M500 960GB. Hooked up the M500 with Apricorn externally and formatted the drive. Installed 10.8. MBP boots fine from M500, and the internal drive is visible. Then switched the drives, with the M500 internally in the main bay and the HDD external. When MBP is started, I get the gray folder with ?. Can't even see the external HDD or anything else, even holding option key. Just internet restore.

Checked Apple forums and texted Crucial tech support. Both said it was the HD cable. So I just went to the Apple store and they replaced it with a new cable. No difference. Same behavior. It must be the cable, but other people are using this SSD with MBP 8,1 and it works, so I am puzzled.

Any suggestions?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm using the 480GB M500 with no problems.

Given that you've replaced the HD cable and it still doesn't work I'd have the vendor replace your SSD and see if a new one works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Have you reinstalled the original HD internally and tried to boot? Must admit, it sounded like a failed cable, they are touchy. Didn't the Apple Store test it after replacing the cable, as that was the reason for taking your MBP to them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Does the Crucial SSD appear in Disk Utility when booted from the original hard drive? Maybe it needs formatting Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies. This is a great forum.

The machine is running now on the external SSD which is working fine. The original HDD is in the main bay and I can see all files, so the new cable is working fine. Both appear in Disk Utility.

So I just rebooted from the internal HDD. Both disks show up in Disk Utility. Everything looks good this way.

Maybe it is an SSD failure and I should get it replaced, but it works fine externally. I still suspect the cable, perhaps that it cannot handle the SATA 3 properly. I don't know. But the SSD is working.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I left out a couple of details. The SSD is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and the Apple Store will not test with another manufacturer's hardware.

OP
D
Reaction score
Put the SSD in the MBP and the original HD in the external enclosure and boot from the original. See if you can see the SSD that way.

The MBP will not boot. I'm holding the option key when booting and I see the option for internet recovery (no other drives).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
How did you transfer your OS to the SSD also if you are seeing internet recovery it either can't read the recovery portion of the drive or it does not exist.

OP
D
Reaction score
I hooked up the SSD externally (usb) and partitioned it and installed 10.8 from an installer on the HDD. There doesn't appear to be any recovery portion of the drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
No, well I rebooted and there is a recovery portion on both the HDD and the SSD.

OP
D
Reaction score
This is booting from the HDD, of course. When booting from the SSD (internally) I see nothing.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the size (960gb) has anything to do with it? Were hd sizes that big in early 2011?
Well, I was thinking that 960GB may need more power than the MBP 8,1 can give, and so maybe I'll have to try a smaller one. I've read of people getting the 960GB to work with 2011 and 2012 MBPs, but not specifically the 8,1. The SSDs were much smaller back then.

Reaction score
Did you partition the new SSD using GUID? You should, or it won't boot.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, used GUID. I contacted Crucial tech support but they refused to help since I bought it from OWC. Contacted OWC tech support and they had no new ideas, so they are replacing the SSD with another of the same model. I'll try it and let you know.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That doesn't say much for Crucial tech support. It is their drive, right? Why would they refuse to give support?

Reaction score
I contacted Crucial tech support but they refused to help since I bought it from OWC.
Just curious, but if you were at OWC, why didn't you buy an OWC SSD? Their SSD reviews and ratings are through the roof, and their tech support is very, very good. That is not to say that Crucial doesn't make good gear, also.

On another issue, you should find out whether the OEM recommends enabling OS X TRIM support or not. OWC for example does not recommend it, since their own firmware does a better job at cleaning the deleted bits on their SSDs.

OP
D
Reaction score
In retrospect, I should have bought OWC. I had read the Crucial reviews and they were great, and the OWC site lists OWC SSDs only up to 480GB, so I opted for the Crucial. So now I'll try another Crucial, and if it doesn't work I'll refund it and try a different one. Something must work with the MMP 8,1. And I will definitely check into the trim support.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Check the connections at both ends of the drive cable if you haven't already. I had similar behavior recently when I installed an SSD in my MacBook Pro. I thought the cable was bad. I even went so far as to order a new cable. Turns out that the cable had worked loose from the logic board a bit. It looked tight and even worked intermittently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.