Daemon gamed slowing access

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
After an install of Mavericks, I noticed that I would get browser timeouts for a considerable time after it woke up from sleep mode. It doesn’t happen on my Mountain Lion, so something was changed in the new version. I finally traced it down to a daemon that comes alive on wake up, called gamed.

Apparently, this is for the Game Center.app and it hammers away for a while - every time the machine comes alive - preventing anything else from getting through. At least on my 1.5 Mb link. And it is tough to stop, since googling will get mostly advice on how to manipulate the game center itself. Don’t try to block it at a firewall or with something like Little Snitch - it will pound away for much longer till it gives up, also interfering with your link.

So, here is the procedure. Caution, you are changing OSX itself (in a minor way) so check your typing.

Start a terminal session.
run the command launchctl list

This will give you a long list and somewhere in it should be com.apple.gamed

Now, carefully, run launchctl remove com.apple.gamed

If you want to put it back, just use launchctl load com.apple.gamed

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Oops. Wrong forum. Admin pls move.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Seems it would be easier to start the Game Center app and log out of it.

Or, head for Users and Groups - Login Items and remove it from that list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.