Drop Box vs iCloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I was recently asked to view some pix on Drop Box. Drop Box has now sent me a message suggesting that I am under using it. As an iCloud user why would I?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Pros and cons to both Alwyn. Both are paid services at some point but if you're a Mac user with several machines and devices then iCloud makes more sense.
Do you think the DropBox message is a phish to get you to pay for more space?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dropbox

Pros and cons to both Alwyn. Both are paid services at some point but if you're a Mac user with several machines and devices then iCloud makes more sense.
Do you think the DropBox message is a phish to get you to pay for more space?

No I think it's just marketing and I've successfully unsubscribed to e-mails.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are basically the same thing. I have accounts with Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive. I have different files/folders that synch using each service. They are free up to a certain amount of storage space size.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I am a huge fan of Dropbox, if only for the fact that it makes working across platforms (Mac, iPhone, PC, Android) seamless, plus if you refer enough people it's far less expensive.

Through referrals, I'm up to 10 GB of free space on Dropbox vs the 5 GB Apple gives you with iCloud.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
One big difference between Dropbox, Box, Copy, and other cloud based storage services and things like Google Drive and iCloud is that the former are meant for storage of arbitrary files up whereas the latter is more focused on a specific use case.

If you look at iCloud, for example, you use it with various Apple products to share pictures, contacts, music and so on.

C

chas_m

I am a huge fan of Dropbox, if only for the fact that it makes working across platforms (Mac, iPhone, PC, Android) seamless, plus if you refer enough people it's far less expensive.

Through referrals, I'm up to 10 GB of free space on Dropbox vs the 5 GB Apple gives you with iCloud.

I use Copy and Dropbox, and much prefer Copy -- for starters it gives you 15GB from the get go (20GB if you use my referral, below) for free. It doesn't have every bell and whistle Dropbox has, but I use it mostly to post large files to friends (like my podcast) and has a ton of space, ergo I like it very much for my uses.

https://copy.com?r=lQ6l1p

Reaction score
For me, DropBox is a basically folder system in Finder on my iMac that I can access from any computing device, and in which I can share sub folders with collaborators to work on files in the foreground. Very handy.

iCloud, on the other hand, is a mysterious server space where some of my apps keep themselves in sync across my Apple devices in the background.

So I need both. And increasingly I am being forced to use my Google account to collaborate with folks who use Google.

Strange new fragmenting world we live in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
For me, DropBox is a basically folder system in Finder on my iMac that I can access from any computing device, and in which I can share sub folders with collaborators to work on files in the foreground. Very handy.

iCloud, on the other hand, is a mysterious server space where some of my apps keep themselves in sync across my Apple devices in the background.

So I need both. And increasingly I am being forced to use my Google account to collaborate with folks who use Google.

Agree 100%. The only thing I use iCloud for is syncing the most basic items such as keychain, bookmarks, etc.

If Apple would offer more storage at reasonable prices I'd be inclined to use it more.

I enjoy the integration Dropbox offers to apps like Desktoppr.co and automatic Photo Uploading when I connect my devices. My wife and I run the YNAB budgeting program and keep the data files on a shared Dropbox folder, so we both have access to the same info at all times.

I also use box.com for longer-term storage of things like photos and music: you get 50 GB for free just for signing up, and you don't have to sync locally if you don't want to.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One big difference between Dropbox, Box, Copy, and other cloud based storage services and things like Google Drive and iCloud is that the former are meant for storage of arbitrary files up whereas the latter is more focused on a specific use case.

If you look at iCloud, for example, you use it with various Apple products to share pictures, contacts, music and so on.
This is an important distinction as iCloud is very different from Dropbox. In fact, other than being cloud based services (storage of content offsite), there are no similiarities whatsoever. Neither of them provides the services of the other and they support vastly different platforms (iCloud only supports Apple products and Windows whereas Dropbox supports Windows, OS X, Linux, Android and iOS).

It's frustrating that a collection of services that are supposed to minimize the problem of fragmentation ("the cloud" effectively making internet connected devices the same) can themselves be fragmented.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.