Can't boot without Install DVD

Reaction score
My Macbook crashed after searching on a massive amount of files with PhotoShop. The next time I tried to start it, I got stuck at the gray screen that has a circle with a line through it. I booted up from a Mac OS X Install DVD (the original one for this machine, Snow Leopard 10.6 something). That worked. I ran "repair permissions, and that process ran for hours and the machine got very hot. I finally shut it off. Later, I reinstalled the OS X, ran "repair permissions" (the partitions all looked normal and the repair process completed in 7 minutes), and was able to get to my regular log in screen, the usual apps, etc. The iTunes icon in the bottom taskbar was grayed out (I might have deleted images related to that by accident earlier), but everything else looked normal. However, I still can't get the laptop to start up on it's own. The only way I can boot is from the Install DVD. I do have two partitions on this - one for Mac, and one for Windows. Can someone please suggest what else I can try, so that I don't have to keep booting from the DVD? Thanks!

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm holding down the Option key and selecting the DVD. After I reinstalled Snow Leopard from the Install DVD, I was able to access my profile. However, once I logged out (to see if it would reboot without the DVD), I'm back out at the Disk Utility (using the DVD). It does show both partitions. I just ran "Repair Disk" and it said everything seems to be okay. Is my only choice now to quit Disk Utility and reinstall the OSX (again)? The Mac partition only has 5.5 gb free (that is a little larger than it showed before). I'm not convinced that will solve the problem, since it didn't the first time - but if it's the only way that I can access my files, it might be the best option for now. I do have a one-year old clone from Carbon Copy Clone, and all of my recent files were backed up right before this happened. It's my son's computer. When I was able to get to the log-in screen after reinstalling OS X, his screen saver was the most recent one that he was using (he had added that particular photo in February). So I don' tthink we've lost any files, but I'm confused about why the reinstall didn't seem to work.

So to answer your question (sorry), System Preferences is grayed out and I'm at the Disk Utility screen, after having booted up from the Install disk.

OP
S
Reaction score
When I hold down Option, I get three choices:
- The Mac partition
- The Windows partition
- The Mac OS X install DVD

When I click on the Mac partition, the Apple logo shows up with the spinning wheel. I can hear the fan and can hear the DVD drive being read. After a couple of minutes, I get the circle with a line through it (the symbol for "Do Not"), and the wheel (not a colorful apple) continues to spin. That's what it is doing right now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This may not help but try booting in single user mode and running fsck. In earlier versions of OS X this command sometimes fixed things that Disk Utility couldn't fix.

OP
S
Reaction score
I couldn't get the singke-user mode to finish. It got as far as checking for <dict =ID> and froze. The last thing it said was "still waiting for root disk"

I can get to Terminal Mode via the Install Disk's Disk Utility, but the command prompt on that says:
-bash-3.2#

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot from the OS X Install DVD, and go to Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. Sounds like the hard drive may have turned up its heels with all that work.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you! I recopied all of the kext files (following instructions at iclarified #1119) via terminal, then saw your message and repaired the disk woth the Install DVD. After the disk repair, the "repair disk. option on the hard drive's Disk Utility was no longer greyed out; encouraging to see! I repaired the permissions again, followed your advice to reinstall Snow Leopard again, and everything looks good. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions to try. Now to make a new backup and try to get caught up on everything else ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And with only 5 GB free space - don't really care what size the drive happens to be - that drive needs to have some space freed up - 5 GB is not even enough for the sleep image and virtual memory. And there is no doubt in my mind, it's running like molasses when trying to do much of anything.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. I've passed that on to my son, and we're getting a second external hard drive for stoage/backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.